Grain and rustication

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
Nick

Grain and rustication

Post by Nick »

Ben's pipe reminded me of somthing that I've been thinking about for a while. I love the texture of a well rusticated pipe. But i hate not being able to see the grain. In Ben's pipe you had both, which was really cool. Anyway, i was thinking about trying to bring out the grain in a rusticated pipe.

My thought is to oversaturate the briar with black or brown stain, then buff or sand it back. Once the stain has been taken back to a nice black and white look, rusticate the heck out of it. If the stain went really deep, some of the grain may show though the rustication.

I'd love to hear your thoughts,
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I have found that the best way for grain striations to show through rustication or sandblasting is to use lots of a *light* stain. Some of the best are the Fiebings tan and beige. Lay them on heavy and keep applying until the magic happens.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

with limited experience I would say that you'd have an amazingly hard time getting the stain to soak in deep enough to still show on even a shallow rustication like mine. FYI, on mine there was no stain, that's just virgin wood and a coat of shellac.