drilling of a hawkbill

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
timothy thorpe

drilling of a hawkbill

Post by timothy thorpe »

hi guys, another mistery to a new pipe maker! how is the air hole drilled for the hawkbill? thanks, tim
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

(Unless your using a curved drill bit) in a straight line :)

Seriously. I think the drilling is the easy part (if you have a whole block), it's the shaping that appears (to me) to be tough.... giving it a nice curve while not bumping into the airway.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Speaking of curved draught holes, how the heck is it done?
I have an Aldo Velani (see pic) where the draught hole curves at the bottom to meet the tobacco chamber.

The model is a "Titan", and it sure deserves the name. The tobacco chamber is 2 5/32" deep!
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Nick

Post by Nick »

There's a post here somewhere about curved drilling. Essentially, you use a bur on a flexible shaft. The shaft is encased in a maluable metal tube shaped in the curve that you ant to drill.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Tim,

A hawkbill is drilled like any other bent. It's just backwards from what you're used to.

In other words, when you look at the block from the side, on a normal bent, the smoke hole line is usually above the mortise line. On a hawkbill, it's the opposite.

Rad
timothy thorpe

Post by timothy thorpe »

[quote="RadDavis"]Hi Tim,

A hawkbill is drilled like any other bent. It's just backwards from what you're used to.

In other words, when you look at the block from the side, on a normal bent, the smoke hole line is usually above the mortise line. On a hawkbill, it's the opposite.

Rad[/quott
thanks rad, that makes sense!! this is something i will not try for a while!! just curious. tim