first pipe pics posted

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
James Sunderland

first pipe pics posted

Post by James Sunderland »

I know i'm in the valley of the giants here but i'll love to get some advise
this is # 3 I made it in the chicago workshop.... I had a great time learning from Ruthenburge,Bosi,and Jaden... I would love to work with some of you guys from here. by the way i'm handy at pushing a broom around :lol:
James Sunderland

This is #3 but i reworked it blasted and carved. super lightwieght very nice fit in the mouth. It's hard to see but that is a hole at the at the bridge
James Sunderland

# 5 this took a very long time and a very small file to get the lines right . I just saw that Will Purdy makes a shape like this. the dimond from the premade stem is rounded on the bottom and the top goes to a point towards the button and rolls up to the top of the stumle.. I love that part about it. It's no where near your guys volcanoes but i learned a lot from making it. like lucite is a dream to bend...unlike this stem, burned myself a few times and still didn't get it to flow :roll: but it make more sense in person
James Sunderland

James Sunderland

I didn't set it up right but you get the picture and the bottom is ok theres birds eyes but it's not amazing. And I didn't mean to make the walls that thin at the top. Just a rokkie mistake on a band saw. And lastly
THANKS to all of you for making this such a great Resource. It's Extreamly Inspiring you pros and joes post some of the worlds finest pipes
Nick

Post by Nick »

Great job buddy! I wish my first few looked as good as yours!
sethile

Post by sethile »

Wow, James, you're off to a fantastic start! I like the blast you did in Chicago, and that Volcano looks super! I'd never guess that was your fifth pipe! Much nicer than the volcano I just attempted. I also got the wall a little thin at the top in one area on mine. It's a challenging shape, at least it was for me :roll:

I notice what looks like a ridge in the tobacco chamber. Are you using two different bits that didn't smooth out for you, or is that just an allusion?

Keep up the excellent work, James. I echo your praise of this forum and all the helpful advice here. It's an absolutely amazing resource!
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
Skip

First pipe pics

Post by Skip »

Very impressive work. I think you show a lot of promise so please keep it up.
It was nice to meet you in Chicago.

Skip Elliott :D
James Sunderland

Thanks a lot guys,
Scott- that is in fact a ring inside the bowl that will be sanded out, it's funny how volcanoes are so much harder than the simple shape they seem to be.

Skip-it was great to meet you in Chicago, the P&T story made you seem a little serious but your one of the most down to earth people I have met. A lot of my friends got a kick out of me seeing your newest pipe in person. It's a great contrast from the smooth to blast. It was one of my favorite pipes I saw that weekend.