RUSTICATING TOOLS

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
timothy thorpe

RUSTICATING TOOLS

Post by timothy thorpe »

hi guys, i have been using a dremel bit to rusticate, as you can see on frenchy's website under " other pipes" its a black and light brown freehand. i feel at this point i want to get into more defined rusticating as i would say! i have seen before some guys use a nail tool, not sure what that is? any suggestions would be helpful, thanks, tim
sethile

Post by sethile »

Hello Timothy,

Here is a link to Tyler Lane Beard's site and the tool he uses. I think many of us are using the same basic tool. Works great, and it's cheep to make! Tyler credits Brian Ruthenberg for where he first saw it, but it may predate Brian.

http://www.tylerlanepipes.com/modules.p ... ustication

The main thing while using the tool is to make sure to over lap, and be fairly aggressive with it. Most people don't take enough material with it at first. Just make sure everything is well supported against the pressure, especially while working on the shank.

All the best, Scott
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
timothy thorpe

Post by timothy thorpe »

[quote="sethile"]Hello Timothy,

Here is a link to Tyler Lane Beard's site and the tool he uses. I think many of us are using the same basic tool. Works great, and it's cheep to make! Tyler credits Brian Ruthenberg for where he first saw it, but it may predate Brian.

http://www.tylerlanepipes.com/modules.p ... ustication

The main thing while using the tool is to make sure to over lap, and be fairly aggressive with it. Most people don't take enough material with it at first. Just make sure everything is well supported against the pressure, especially while working on the shank.

All the best, Scott[/quotethanks scott, i was hoping there is something out there a can just buy. for me i make one or two pipes a month! so the less time with tools help me with the making.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hey Tim,

Besides drill bits, there is almost nothing as far as pipe maker tooling that you can just buy. Most of us make them up as we go. :wink:

Rad
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

RadDavis wrote:Hey Tim,

Besides drill bits, there is almost nothing as far as pipe maker tooling that you can just buy. Most of us make them up as we go. :wink:

Rad
Unless you live by the big box store, "Pipemakers" like I do :D
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

What Rad said.

Also, I believe I got this from Trever's old website, a hole saw with the drill bit removed works. You have to attach it to a handle in some way. And don't hold the stummel with your hand if you're going to be using any kind of implement like this. Secure it safely somehow.

Matt
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

hazmat wrote:And don't hold the stummel with your hand if you're going to be using any kind of implement like this. Secure it safely somehow.

Matt
I like to live dangerously. I hold the stummel in my hand. 8)

I sometimes use a round, coarse wood rasp. You need to hold the rasp with both hands so the stummel has to be secured. Just press and twist. Works great to compliment a rustication done with a dremel.

David
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I have always held the stummel in my hand to use this tool as well. Sometimes it hurts though! :shock:

To add a bit to the history of this tool, Brian Ruthenberg told me he got this tool from Robert Vacher of Laughing Moon Pipes. I don't know where Robert got it.

Tyler
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

I suspect the tool came to us from Italian pipemakers. Just a guess, looking at the Castellos and such. I know Paolo Becker showed me this tool at his shop, and has been using it probably 30 years.

Jack

Tyler wrote:I have always held the stummel in my hand to use this tool as well. Sometimes it hurts though! :shock:

To add a bit to the history of this tool, Brian Ruthenberg told me he got this tool from Robert Vacher of Laughing Moon Pipes. I don't know where Robert got it.

Tyler