Plateau Treatment

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
sprangalang

Plateau Treatment

Post by sprangalang »

Good Morning everyone.
How do you treat the plateau? Do you just pick off bark and lightly buff? Sandblast?, Plastic bristle brush? I guess it depends on what effect you need, but I'm looking for ideas.
Thanks for your comments.
-Jeff
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey Jeff,

I use a combination of a wire bristle wheel and a plastic bristle wheel in my dremel. The wire wheel usually removes the bark and the plastic kind of buffs the surface after the bark has been removed.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Plateau Treatment

Post by KurtHuhn »

sprangalang wrote:How do you treat the plateau? Do you just pick off bark and lightly buff? Sandblast?, Plastic bristle brush?
Yes.

:D

Seriously though, ask a dozen pipe makers, get a dozen responses. I like to bead blast the plateau to get the bark off. I typically do that before shaping so that I can see if there are any obvious pits or crevaces that I need to avoid. And if you use glass bead at a low pressure, it doesn't etch the surface.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Jeff,

I used to use a 8" brass wire brush wheel. It will do a decent job as long as you use the edges of the wheel and use a light hand. the brush can leave marks if you're too aggressive. You can pick off the stubborn pieces of bark with a pick of your choosing.

Now I blast it off, and that is much more satisfactory for me.

Rad