Pipe Smokers Aren't Nico Addicts?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Frank

Pipe Smokers Aren't Nico Addicts?

Post by Frank »

I had to chuckle at this comment in a blog on http://blogs.pipetrader.com/:
Responsible pipe smokers, and cigar smokers for that matter, are not addicts, nor does their action significantly shorten their lives like regular cigarette smoking does.
I guess that puts me in the category of "Irresponsible Pipe Smoker".
The last thing I do before turning out my light at night is pull a few puffs from my pipe. When I occasionally have insomnia, I sit up in bed & light up my pipe. Almost the first thing I do in the morning after getting up, is light up my pipe. I seriously believe this shit will shorten my life. Something's making me short of breath these days & I dought it's fresh air.
Sometimes I just won't listen to good advice.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Do you get all edgy when you go for a while without smoking a pipe? Like cig smokers do when they can't smoke for a while? I'm not saying pipe/cigar smoking is a way to enjoy tobacco whilst avoiding all adverse effects, but I don't get the jitters if I can't get to my pipe. I think that's the point the quote was speaking to, IMHO.
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

hazmat wrote:Do you get all edgy when you go for a while without smoking a pipe?
YES, DAMNIT!

:lol:
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I really enjoy smoking my pipes and cigars, but I don't have a problem leaving them for a few days when I have to. I'd be lying if I said I don't enjoy the nicotine hit, but it's not the same type of thing as a cigarette. Honestly, I think a lot of the "addiction" to pipes and cigars is the habit of going through the associated ceremony surrounding them. Choosing a tobacco/cigar, filling the pipe, clipping/punching the cigar head, lighting, etc.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
mattw

Post by mattw »

I think using the term 'responsible' on that blog was out of place. But, I bet, the generalization is true.

I bet most pipe and cigar smokers aren't addicted to nicotine.

I'm not addicted, but I used to be (but those were cigarettes). I can't say I don't enjoy the nicotine, though.

Although the joy of the ritual used to be lost on me, somewhat. I started smoking for the flavor of the smoke, and that is why after I quit I moved to pipes (cheaper, and better flavor?!? sign me up!). And, the fact that I sold my briars (story on that: I wanted to get my wife a present and we couldn't [then or now] afford one, so I made the sacrifice selling my cheap briars and a tin of bohemian scandal to buy a present - miss the pipes, but in my mind worth it to see the joy on my wifes face). Now, I only have one pipe choice (a nice meerschaum), but do enjoy thumbing through my tobacco.

Although I hope to have another choice once I finish carving the kit pipe I am getting.
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

KurtHuhn wrote:Honestly, I think a lot of the "addiction" to pipes and cigars is the habit of going through the associated ceremony surrounding them. Choosing a tobacco/cigar, filling the pipe, clipping/punching the cigar head, lighting, etc.
Couldn't agree with you more on this one.. enjoyed myself a fine A. Fuente Lonsdale yesterday with a coupla fingers of Crown Royal XR. Yum.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I don't know a single cigarette smoker who can go all day or weekend without smoking. I do that often. I even use nasal snuff fairly regular and still have no problems going without for days if needed. There has to be something else to the cigarettes that causes such a strong dependence.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

ArtGuy wrote: There has to be something else to the cigarettes that causes such a strong dependence.
I agree. I smoke cigs and a pipe. I can smoke a pipe loaded with strong tobacco until I get the nicotine hiccups and that funny feeling right at my diaphragm.

When I'm finished, what I really want to do is light up a cigarette.

Rad
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

I think it's the delivery system moreso than some juju that's added to a grit... of course, I could be wrong. When you inhale grit smoke, it gets into your system fast and in a large dose. The lining of your mouth doesn't absorb nic as fast, I don't think. Also, the amount of nic in grits vs pipe tobacco is substantial, if I remember correctly.
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

I think the effects of nicotine are different whether it is inhaled or absorbed. I think there is a lot more of a nic dosage in pipe smoke, over a longer period of time. But it doesn't seem to have the same addicting effect that inhaling cig smoke does. I've never gotten the same nic hit off a cig as a pipe. That makes me wonder if cig smoking creates an aversion to the nic buzz. :?:
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

RadDavis wrote:When I'm finished, what I really want to do is light up a cigarette.

Rad
My buddy who got me into pipe smoking is the same way. His analogy is that smoking a pipe is akin to sipping a fine spirit whereas smoking a cigarette is akin to sucking down a six pack of cheap beer, one after another.
souljer

Post by souljer »

That's funny you use that analogy.

I always say that smoking a pipe -regarding being addictive- is like having a beer or two. Yes there is the effect of alcohol and all that, but most of us can stop for a few days if we want to. Or can enjoy a beer or pipe once or twice a day without problems. The enjoyment of the tobacco is more akin to simply doing or eating something that is nicer than something else. When you want Italian you eat Italian, when you want Japanese or American fare you seek that out. Pipes and cigars represent to me a relaxing hobby/pass-time that gives the smoker a choice.

Cigarettes on the other hand are manufactured to be addicting by going through a complicated chemical processing that essentially free-bases the nicotine so that it's more readily absorbed by the brain and creates a much greater chemical desire. It's not about the flavor, ritual or community; it's about the chemical. Like adding sugar to everything to keep people coming back for more rather than trying to make a quality product.

Pipe and cigar tobacco is basically unprocessed chemically, and delivers a much more organic -homeopathic?- experience. Not inhaling probably effects this as well.

You could apply the same thing for wine or hard liquor connoisseurs vs. alcoholics.
www.TotemStar.com - Some of my pipe related art