Coments Needed on Use of Purple Bamboo

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Coments Needed on Use of Purple Bamboo

Post by staffwalker »

How in the heck do you guys sand the junctions between purple bamboo and stem/shank? On the purple I just worked with, the purple color was contained in a very, very thin outer skin about the thickness of a human hair . Just the slightest touch of any grade of sandpaper courser than 600 will cut through the purple and expose the white underneath. I finally did a fairly good job but it took forever to do so. There has to be a way to sand these junctions I see too many expensive purple bamboo pipes from the established makers on the net.

This was my first try and perhaps not all purple has a skin that thin. I'll post pics soon.

bob gilbert
Frank

Post by Frank »

That sounds like a tough one to me, Bob. The only suggestion that comes to mind is staining the sanded area. Obviously, this will require some stain mixing to get the right colour.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

I did cover up a couple of small booboos but for some strange reason the purple doesn't want to accept stain. Even when I tried black there is still a light area where I sanded through the purple covering. On the other hand, when I tried a test stain on regular bamboo it accepted the stain readily. Funny stuff, purple bamboo.

bob gilbert