Homegrown and cured tobacco

What good is a pipe without tobacco? Discuss your favorites in here.
jeff

Homegrown and cured tobacco

Post by jeff »

Has anyone ever attempted to grow and cure their own tobacco before? I did some research this year and it looked like a fairly easy process, however info on curing was more difficult to find, especially when it comes to pipe tobacco. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has ever attempted to do either or both of these things.

Jeff
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

jeff, someone one here or csp (christian pipe smokers) posted a website address to a place that had all sorts of information (and maybe starter kits) for people wanting to do their own tobacco. I'll see if I can find it.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I checked on it and this is that website they told me about:

http://www.tobaccoblending.com/

Not sure it will have EVERYTHING your looking for... but if your going to do the research anyway, will you let me know what you find?! I've been wanting to look into for a long time but never have the time :/
Nick

Post by Nick »

Neat! They grow some good burly here in Ohio, but I'm not much of a gardener. Send a plant to my house is like sending a patient to a hospice. I'll do my best to keep it comfortable befor the inevitable occurs.

;)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I would love to try and grow tobacco, but simply don't have the time or space to do such a thing - and curing requires years of learning and experience that I would rather devote to carving pipes at this point in my life.

However, blending is another story altogether. I have some ideas for different blends, and I've had more than one request for information on chile-flavored blends - those folks from New Mexico are *crazy*. 8O

I don't know that I'd ever get good at it, and almost certainly I'd never reach the same level as Pease or Tarler (the top of the heap, IMO) but I'd have fun doing it, and I think that's what counts the most. Enjoying the journey through life is what I'm trying to do now. Life in IT has worn me right the heck out.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
jeff

Post by jeff »

I had actually done quite a bit of research on the net earlier this year and planned on buying seeds and giving it a go. But time got away from me. One site, which I don't know off hand, has instructions to build a home curing chamber that costs around $70. Seeds are dirt cheap and assuming you stay with the same varieties (recommended) you will never need to purchase those again. Each tobacco plant produces roughtly 500,000 seeds. More than enough to seed your garden. I'll post those sites on here later for those who are interested.

Jeff
jeff

Post by jeff »

Okay, the site is:

http://www.seedman.com/tobacco.htm

or

http://www.coffinails.com

They are mostly catering to cigarette and cigar smokers, but many of the varieties that they are selling are pipe tobaccos as well. Besides, curing can make a major difference in the final result of a tobacco. Packs of seeds are around $2. Not too bad.
jchamb

Post by jchamb »

I've grown tobacco before with some seeds I got from seedman.com (highly recommended).

Unfortunately it was so hot here in Texas the second year, that my "crop" (about 8 plants) withered away. It was a fun experiment, and relatively cheap though.

I "cured" it by hanging it in the little shed where I park my lawn tractor, and rolled a few cigars from the resuting leaves.
Seumas

Post by Seumas »

The seedman link above doesn't work, because the word tobacco needs to be capitalized.

This should do it:

http://www.seedman.com/Tobacco.htm

James
jeff

Post by jeff »

Thanks James, my fault
smokinchris

Post by smokinchris »

:D One thing i would like to know, is it just the additives that they put in tobacco that increase your risk of cancer and not the tobacco it's self. If that is the case, growing and curing your own would be an excellent idea, although i dont worry about it that much smoking pipe in moderation.
NuViking

Post by NuViking »

I have grown tobacco a few times. And this summer was my most successfull crop ever. What I have discovered is the plants lover very fertile siol, lots of water and other than that they are the toughest plant you could imigine. They will look almost dead and a little water and they perk right up as fast as you can send it to them. Curing requires the space.
Now as far as health wise goes,,I wont say that smoking is healthy, but I have found since my wife and I have been smoking our homegrown, she doesnt cough in the morning anymore.
I am a heavy smoker but an active person so I feel I am in pretty good shape. I am smoking my homegrown plain and natural most of the day and in the evenings i use homegrown mixed with a blend from a pipeshope in regina sask called georga peachs. It is a very aromatic blend but the flavor is mellowed down to the piont of a nice lttle vanalia overtone now.
I find there is less rein in my pipe bowel and I dont need to freshen it as offen.
I also gre some virginia gold for ciggeretts and the wife has been mixing it half and half wiht store bought tobacco. Now from time to time she buys a pack of store bought ciggeretts and when I smoke one I feel a little head rush at first, allmost like when I first started smoking. After a few ciggeretts I dontt feel to good. needless to say I dont buy any store bought smokes anymore.
I bought a pouch of popular brand name pipe tobacco once on the road because I didnt bring enough of mine and thought that the brand that I liked for so many years past now tastes disccusting, to sweet and plugs up my pipe.
I am experimenting with casing small blends but up to date I like it natural or a little coffee with tia maria dropped in to keep the humity level just right to be my favorite.
Annisette and coffee made an erinmmore kind flavor, I didnt mind that.
Dont be afraid to grow your own. They are a beutyfull plant for foiliage if nothing else.
helicopters do not eat their offspring
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

That's interesting you mention that the store-bought cigs give you a head rush. I haven't smoked cigs in years, but was having a really stressful time just under a year ago, and I bought a pack. Not only did it give me a head rush, but it made me sick to my stomach. I thought it was very odd, considering the fact that I smoke cigars and really strong pipe tobacco all day long.

Fast forward to just over two weeks ago, and my bother-in-law was visiting. We out back looking at the stars and he lights up a cig. I didn't feel like getting up to go get a pipe or cigar so I asked for a cig and lit up - no head rush, and no sick feeling. Turns out he smokes "all natural" cigs - Skydancer brand I think. No harsh feeling in the back of the throat either. Makes me think that the big brand cigarettes really are way worse for you than just plain old tobacco. I must have something to do with the chemicals they use to process and preserve the tobacco.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
NuViking

Post by NuViking »

I am only speaking from a Canadian piont of view on this one. A couple years back I noticed the store bought ciggerette tobacco started to have a medicinal taste. and if left unattended would stop burning. HMMMM what kinda addative would they put into tobacco to stop it from free burning when surrounded by oxeygen.
Another interesting thing I would like to piont out is that I am also on a forum listed in one of the treads above called coffinnails. They had a thread off I beleive 600 additives in store bought tobacco and only a couple dozen were for flavoring. It is also surprizing how simple the ingrediants are for flavoring.
If you grow your own once. You will be hooked. Of all the things I grew in my garden them Baccy plants were the most fun. Oh and the wife loved the flowers on them and was upset that I had to pick them. They look like little morning glorys.
I am smoking some right now as I type and cant recomend enough to get a bunch of five gallon pails full of well rotted manure and start your way to new experience in pipe smoking. If anything else beld it with your favorite smoke to lessen the cost. With a little humidity it takes on the flavor of a stong blend very well.
sethile

Post by sethile »

Hey guys,

You may have seen it already, but there is an interesting thread here on a growing your own project:
viewtopic.php?t=2291&highlight=
And then a second thread on cutting it up and a little curing and casing information:
viewtopic.php?t=2642&highlight=

I'm hoping to try it next season. Tobacco grows all around me. Mostly KY burley I think, but I may give a couple of different things a try after some research. Sounds like it would be a fun project, and who knows, we might just get some interesting options for blending at least. My wife has allocated a nice sunny spot next to my shop to give it a try....
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I have to find a good spot to plant mine. The bulk of the sunny spots is taken up by the vegetable garden. I have to figure out what I can move around.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
NuViking

Post by NuViking »

Hey Kurt< The plants dont mind partial shade. They wont grow as big and the leaves will be thinner. This was told to me by another fellow in the knifenetwork that this meathod is great for wrapping cigars. If you dont have an ideal location try 5 gallon pails. They are very hardy plants. Heck I have a couple growing in the house and one still growing in the garden after a few frosts.
Nick

Post by Nick »

You know, I may have to try this. But I'd want more than just Va's. I need spice. Can orientals and such be found too? And how do they do in non native soil?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I forget which place I got them from (I need to look at the packaging when I get home), but I have burleys, turkish, and orientals - as well as a couple different decorative tobaccos.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com