chucking a pre-formed stem

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
timothy thorpe

chucking a pre-formed stem

Post by timothy thorpe »

hi guys, once again. thanks for the help!!!! now i have a feel for the lathe. last night i was able to face off a peaice of wood with no problems. i have a couple of lucite pre-formed stems left over that i want to use up. but i can not chuck them in the 4 jaw chuck!! i can't get the stem for enough back to the round part of the stem!! so it will fit for even. i guess i am s.o.l. on this. anyway i have some cumberland rods on the way! i need a lot of practice on hand made stems!! the best part is a really love making them and shaping process is my favorite. thanks, tim
stevalla

Post by stevalla »

Hi Timothy,
Check out Tom Johnson's solution for turning preformed stems. It's under the tools heading, The Spinner. You have to use a live or dead center. Tool is self explanatory, Put tool into bit end and lock into you lathe head.
Put center in hole for tennon, cut tennon. Simple and works well. Have used mine to cut tennons on lucite bits I get from some guy in Montana.
Have turned many tennons, round ,ovals, diamonds. Have never done a church warden tho. This maybe a simple, inexpensive solution to turning preformed stem for you. It certainly was for me.
Good luck,
Alan Stevenson
Wausau, WI
OOPS, almost forgot site name - www.lunapipes.com