Start making my own stems

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

jeeper wrote:P.S. I blame Kurt, he made it look to easy in his photo essay.
I'll take that blame. If I make it look easy, that must mean that I'm pretty darn good at it, eh? :D

I'm working on a video project that I want to finish by Christmas where I take briar and rod stock all the way to a completed pipe. It'll have commentary, original music, and multiple camera angles to help illustrate some of the common problems and the solutions.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

That will be a GREAT video when you have it ready, Kurt. Great project.. looking forward to it!
Frank

Post by Frank »

KurtHuhn wrote:.... original music, .....
Das head banging, gute Deutche industrial panzer musiken. Maken das ears achin und das eyes poppen mit spitzensparken!
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

LOL! :rockon:

This time I'll be going the other direction though. I've composed a few pieces for classical guitar that either myself or my dad will be playing. Not complex, but soothing and won't detract or steal attention from the video or commentary.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
ckr

Post by ckr »

just to tight with the 5/16th
I imagine you have delrin for a tenon and it is not fitting well, it is common - even the same brand drills have some variance.

If it is chucked up I just take a small dowel, wrap sandpaper around it, stick in the mortise and take a bit off the inner wall.

If it can't be chucked, I would take a small dowel with a one inch cut down the center and take a 1 inch strip of sandpaper, maybe less, and stick in the slit - basically a mini flap sander - chuck the dowel and do the same - take some off the inner wall.

Both require frequent test inserts as you do not want to over do it.

The larger bit, grind it down to the right size - so you don't have to use the above methods. On the rare occassion when you get a bit that is just perfect - mark it as it is bound to get mixed with all those other almost's.
jeeper

Post by jeeper »

ckr wrote:
just to tight with the 5/16th
I imagine you have delrin for a tenon and it is not fitting well, it is common - even the same brand drills have some variance.

If it is chucked up I just take a small dowel, wrap sandpaper around it, stick in the mortise and take a bit off the inner wall.

If it can't be chucked, I would take a small dowel with a one inch cut down the center and take a 1 inch strip of sandpaper, maybe less, and stick in the slit - basically a mini flap sander - chuck the dowel and do the same - take some off the inner wall.

Both require frequent test inserts as you do not want to over do it.
I'll try this it might help me save some of the ones I've got done now. I'll keep looking for the right bit as well.
jeeper

Post by jeeper »

KurtHuhn wrote:
jeeper wrote:P.S. I blame Kurt, he made it look to easy in his photo essay.
I'll take that blame. If I make it look easy, that must mean that I'm pretty darn good at it, eh? :D

I'm working on a video project that I want to finish by Christmas where I take briar and rod stock all the way to a completed pipe. It'll have commentary, original music, and multiple camera angles to help illustrate some of the common problems and the solutions.
Any progress on this Kurt. :D
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

None whatsoever. Life kept getting in the way. When you're a pipe maker, people keep calling and expecting you to make pipes for them. Then there's that whole day job thing. :)

One of these days though. I've got all the equipment I need, and I have some some spare time coming up in a couple months. We'll see how things go.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

KurtHuhn wrote:One of these days though. I've got all the equipment I need, and I have some some spare time coming up in a couple months. We'll see how things go.
I hope it's in a downloadable format so I can burn it to disk. :mrgreen:
Hmmm, maybe I could then pirate it on eBay, make tons of loot selling it to millions of pipemakers & then be able to buy one of Kurt's pipes! :twisted:
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
jeeper

Post by jeeper »

KurtHuhn wrote:None whatsoever. Life kept getting in the way. When you're a pipe maker, people keep calling and expecting you to make pipes for them. Then there's that whole day job thing. :)

One of these days though. I've got all the equipment I need, and I have some some spare time coming up in a couple months. We'll see how things go.
Life would be great if it would just get out of the way.