last production

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
GbpBulgaria

last production

Post by GbpBulgaria »

Hi all
i continue with my efforts to make a good pipes. Wish to have more time for this but the limitation of 24 hours per day is so depressive:)
Anyhow, here are the results-
My second (finished billiard) I am waiting for the critics (and yes I know I should clean the chamber)
http://www.gbpipes.com/images/billiard%20hi/index.htm

This is the shape i have planned otherwise but the crack i found forced to flatten the bowl:

The project I named “The twins”
One big (giant) briar piece and the 2 pipes from it; one very nice and the second not so good but likeable:
The creation
And the first twin
The second one:

And the last one – my Poker pipe&#61514 :D ;Long shank and very good sitter.

I am sure that you will have what to say and I will be very grateful for your critiques.

George
Bill D

Post by Bill D »

George:

WOW! They are beautiful. Each one is a little gem. I especially like the one with plateau on the bottom. The grain looks great. Your workmanship appears flawless.

Bill
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I really think that the one with plateaux on the bottom is the best of the bunch. The only thing I would suggest for that one is to refine the stem slightly. The saddle portion is a bit strange to my eye. I think an abrupt transition from round to flat sections would bring i all together. Also, the stem seems to get a little thick in the middle - though that my be a trick of the photography.

For the billiard, I would refine the bottom of the bowl and make sure that you don't have any odd humps down there. A rounded area in front of the shank can be disruptive to the flow of the eye. Also, the bowl/shank junction could use a little thinning out. I don't think it needs to be a razor sharp transition, but at the same time, I do think that it should be well defined.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
GbpBulgaria

Post by GbpBulgaria »

Bill D wrote:George:

WOW! They are beautiful. Each one is a little gem. I especially like the one with plateau on the bottom. The grain looks great. Your workmanship appears flawless.

Bill
Thank you!
You are adulating me :o
GbpBulgaria

Post by GbpBulgaria »

Hi Kurt
and thanks you are so particular and exact
KurtHuhn wrote:I really think that the one with plateaux on the bottom is the best of the bunch. The only thing I would suggest for that one is to refine the stem slightly. The saddle portion is a bit strange to my eye. I think an abrupt transition from round to flat sections would bring i all together. Also, the stem seems to get a little thick in the middle - though that my be a trick of the photography.
Actually i refine the stem after the shots of this pipe. It was sold less then 24 hours after i finish it to a guy who asks to refine the stem and to re-bend it. So when I start re-bending i refine it and you are perfectly correct it was a little tick in the middle. About the saddle portion - the transition cannot be made abrupt because there is a Teflon cone in the stem etc. But now i have a lathe (will post pictures soon) and now I van make such things better. Next pipe maybe...
KurtHuhn wrote:For the billiard, I would refine the bottom of the bowl and make sure that you don't have any odd humps down there. A rounded area in front of the shank can be disruptive to the flow of the eye. Also, the bowl/shank junction could use a little thinning out. I don't think it needs to be a razor sharp transition, but at the same time, I do think that it should be well defined.
This is actually my first Billiard I can show :? and it was made without any lathe help - all by hand, drillings etc. I do not succeed with making of the rounder of the shank area, it is a little bit oval. The bottom is oval actually but maybe it can be more refine too, the pipe is here yet and actually I can do this …. this will make the pipe lighter.
One thing is not clear for me. The stem is not as comfortable as I wanted to be. Maybe the beveling should be different or more flowing. What do you think?

George
Nick

Post by Nick »

Great looking pipes! I especially like the plateau piece. Very nice.
magruder

Post by magruder »

George,
those are really good looking.
great use of the grain pattern.
Congratulations.
Best,
Steve Morrisette
sprangalang

Post by sprangalang »

Wow, those are really nice!
I like the shape of the first two, and the plateau on the bottom, nice touch.
Real nice!
-Jeff