Looking for pics of...

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
bscofield

Looking for pics of...

Post by bscofield »

Someone has been making, perhaps more than 1 someone, bamboo pipes with a transition disc that is a non-flush disc. I found one Todd Johnson the other day, but the pictures were not of the area that I wanted to see. I wanted to see how it looked where the little "valley" intersects with the disc and didn't "indent" into the transition disc but stopped. Anyone have any pictures of another one of Todd's pieces where you can catch a glimpse of this? Or any other makes doing this where a guy could sneak a peak? Thanks!
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

http://jwh.fastmail.fm/catalogpages.htm ... g_pos7.htm

If I may be so bold. Clicking on each picture will link to a full-size one.

I've also done them without the indentation in the ring.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Perfect!! Thanks Jack!

How do you like it? Find it aesthetically pleasing? Well, I guess that's a dumb question since you use it, you must like it... Thanks for the pics. That's exactly what I needed!
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Well, there are three choices -- straight briar to bamboo, flush spacer, or proud spacer. What I have found is that briar expands and contracts seasonally and over time, no matter how aged your briar is to begin with. A proud spacer insulates the pipe's aesthetics from a someday slight mismatch between briar and spacer or briar and bamboo. This is more of a risk with thicker shanks than with a little skinny bamboo join since seasonal movement is a percentage. Still, you can feel a thou with your fingernail, and either the fit is perfect or it's not. You live by the fingernail, you die by the fingernail.