Lathe Safety Thread on PM

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
JHowell

Lathe Safety Thread on PM

Post by JHowell »

Mostly horror stories, actually, but it reinforces the admonition not to stick your finger inside a bowl while it's turning, and not to wrap anything around your finger (like sandpaper), not to wear loose clothes, jewelry, etc.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ubb/u ... /34/8.html
RadDavis

Re: Lathe Safety Thread on PM

Post by RadDavis »

JHowell wrote:Mostly horror stories, actually, but it reinforces the admonition not to stick your finger inside a bowl while it's turning, and not to wrap anything around your finger (like sandpaper), not to wear loose clothes, jewelry, etc.
And don't leave drill bits in the tail stock. :D

Rad
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Nah, nobody *else* would pull a stunt like that. :oops:
Nick

Post by Nick »

Oh man! That story about the guy losing a finger and the tendon stretching...uughh! Just gave me shivers. OUCH! Consider me more careful!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I lot of the stories seem to revolve around the work grabbing loose clothing, gloves, or emery cloth wrapped around fingers.

I guess I must have had all of that properly drilled into my head years ago when I took shop classes in high school, and during my short stint in a toolmaker's shop. I can't recall any time recently when I violated those rules.

But, I have had my share of injuries caused by being inattentive. Like that time I grabbed the work to stop it, but the lathe was still on. Nothing serious, but my hand had a nice case of friction burn for a couple days.

Or the time I forgot to tighten the chuck on a block of wood, and it sailed past my head and into the wall behind me. That was an eye opener....

These days I do wear a tight fitting Mechanix glove on my left hand when turning bowls or platters. I think if you're careful, it's a lot safer than having splinters of wood flying at bare flesh - or hot, wet chips when turning green wood.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

One of the most important rules when working with a lathe (easily overlooked) is to never let the chuck key leave your hand until you put it down after tightening/loosening the chuck. A flying chuck key is hard to dodge.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett