tenon cutting for pre-formed stems on micro taig lathe

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
timothy thorpe

tenon cutting for pre-formed stems on micro taig lathe

Post by timothy thorpe »

hi guys, my friend wants to start making pipes. how exciting!!! to teach him. just want to mak ure about something. when you chuck a pre-formed stem in a 4 jaw chuck you have to push the tailstock into the tenon for support? just want to make sure this is right. since i have got the lathe i have only cut tenons from a cumberland rod, which seems to run real smooth on the lathe. but i pre-formed stem i have tried snaped right off and hit me in my safety glasses!!!! thanks god for them. so in order to show my friend how to cut a teneon i guess i need to support it on both sides.

thanks, tim
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

The only way I've been able to successfully cut tenons on pre-formed stems, using the Taig, is to do exactly as you've described. Otherwise, the headstock chuck can't successfully hold the tapered end of the bit. It "squirts" out between the jaws or, as you've learned, just comes loose a bit then the stem shatters. Fun stuff, no?

There are other ways, to be sure. Someone came up with a nifty little device for this. I can't for the life of me remember who it was. If I remember correctly, this little widget was slot and pin sort of setup that held the bit end of the stem firmly in place while you turned it. I really, really wish I could remember where to find it, as it would come in handy.
timothy thorpe

thanks, here one more

Post by timothy thorpe »

hazmat wrote:The only way I've been able to successfully cut tenons on pre-formed stems, using the Taig, is to do exactly as you've described. Otherwise, the headstock chuck can't successfully hold the tapered end of the bit. It "squirts" out between the jaws or, as you've learned, just comes loose a bit then the stem shatters. Fun stuff, no?

There are other ways, to be sure. Someone came up with a nifty little device for this. I can't for the life of me remember who it was. If I remember correctly, this little widget was slot and pin sort of setup that held the bit end of the stem firmly in place while you turned it. I really, really wish I could remember where to find it, as it would come in handy.
thanks buddy, makes sence!! here is one i have been wondering. when the tool is in the tool post how come i have seen some guys angle the tol post towards the tenon. what may be the reason for this.

thanks so much, tim
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Might be that you're seeing someone facing stock when the post is angled that way. Not really sure. That's the only time I do so, but I'm far from a pro lathester :D