Working with Horn

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
bscofield

Working with Horn

Post by bscofield »

Save the jokes..........

For those with experience in it, do you all run tubing through it for safety reasons? Or is it expected to be perfectly fine coming in contact with the smoke?
flix

Post by flix »

It seems to me that the bone poses no health hazard. The only thing that it might do is produce a nasty smell if burned (like when you burn hair, logically speaking).
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Horn or antler doesn't pose any risks, really. I have a Talbert that has a full horn stem, and I also have one I made with a full water buffalo horn stem - both smoke just like any other stem from vulcanite or acrylic.

The only thing you have to watch when it comes to horn is that you don't make it too thin at the button. It tends to be brittle, and you can put a tooth right through it since it won't flex like vulcanite. (advice courtesy of Trever)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

KurtHuhn wrote:The only thing you have to watch when it comes to horn is that you don't make it too thin at the button. It tends to be brittle, and you can put a tooth right through it since it won't flex like vulcanite. (advice courtesy of Trever)
I think it depends on the type of horn. I believe water buffalo horn is more brittle than steer (cow) horn.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

What about health conncerns? I thought that I had read somewhere that some horn had a high concentration of protein that could be very bad for lungs. Anyone hear anything like this?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Well, we're not grinding it up and snorting it. :twisted:
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

KurtHuhn wrote:Well, we're not grinding it up and snorting it. :twisted:
You might be, unless you're wearing a respirator while you're working it. :P

Rad
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

RadDavis wrote: You might be, unless you're wearing a respirator while you're working it. :P
And water buffalo horn smells so good, too! :shock:
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
StephenDownie

Post by StephenDownie »

The smell is why I've moved to alternate materials. My workshop smelled like a perm had caught fire in it.
Stephen Downie
www.downiepipes.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

bscofield wrote:What about health conncerns? I thought that I had read somewhere that some horn had a high concentration of protein that could be very bad for lungs. Anyone hear anything like this?
I've worked with all kinds of wood, bone & horn, so I'm not sure what did it, but my lungs have become really f**ked up in the past couple or so years, something like COPD. I suspect one (or more) of those things did it. Yep, wear a respirator. Or go ahead and say ""It'll never happen to me!".
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I might be called overly cautious, but I always wear a respirator while grinding anything. Even though I've got plenty of dust collection and filtering going on, I still wear that respirator. Some of that stuff is really bad for you. Stuff like G10, carbon fiber, or Micarta can royally screw up your lungs. G10, in particular, contains fiberglass, and can result in silicosis after prolonged exposure.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com