bit and sander

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
buster

bit and sander

Post by buster »

I was looking in a Grizzly tool catalog and they have a bit called a ball end mill and one in particular looks like you could use it without grinding it.
Not sure if it's for wood though. Another thing is I was looking at some of Tyler's videos and for shaping he uses a sanding disk on a lathe ? Has anyone used a 1 inch belt sander for shaping ?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I have a 1x42 Delta sander that I use for shaping some aspects of stems. Most of my rought shaping is done on a 2x36 belt grinder, and all fine shaping and final sanding is done with a disc.

I see no reason why you couldn't use a 1" belt sander for shaping. It may take a while, and may not be ideal, but it should certainly get the job done.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

If you have a variable speed electric drill you can use that to drive a sanding disc. Sanding discs of several varieties can be had for as little as $5 each at your local Lowe's, Home Depot or other flavor of hardware store.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

I haven't ever used a ball end mill, though I did consider using one for pipe making before I discovered how easy it is shape a spade or S&D bit and before I bought a set of Brad's spoon bits. I don't think the ball end mill bits are very good for stock removal. I think it might be most effectively used for finishing a bowl bottom after removing the majority of the chamber wood using an 'un-shaped' S&D or spade bit. I'm quite sure some of the pipe crafters here have tried ball end mills and they'll pipe up with an educated opinion at some point.