chamfering the tenon hole

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
timothy thorpe

chamfering the tenon hole

Post by timothy thorpe »

hi guys ,thanks for the help. how come when i chamfer the tenon hole it leaves a ridgid rough looking hole? i thought about the speed on the drill press but i really have know idea.

thanks, tim
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

I normally use the same speed I drill with for chamfering the mortise. Never had any problems. I usually just press the stummel against the spinning countersink and it just does what it's supposed to do.

EDIT: Oops... wrong hole, but same thing except I don't manually hold the stem when doing this step. I do this step with the stem chucked up in my Taig. As for the rest, what Kurt says below. I use a single fluted countersink and have had zero problems.
Last edited by hazmat on Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

This can also be due to the type of countersink you use. I've found that the multi-flute countersinks will leave a rough surface, while the single-flute or O-flute type leave a very smooth finish. It is, as far as I can determine, a function of the angle of the cutting edge and the self-centering ability of the single-flute type.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com