Awsome Christmas present...

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Awsome Christmas present...

Post by KurtHuhn »

Well, I was going to post this yesterday, but I decided I should wait until I can include some photos.

First, the story:

I came home from work on Tuesday very tired and sort of irritated. There were two packages sitting on my chair in the office, but I moved them both to one side and sat down to check my email. Not interested in packages today.

Big mistake.

Wednesday I came home and saw the packages again, but Karin was having a candy apple emergency, so I got changed and helped out. By the time it was all said and done, I had forgotten about the packages. I ate dinner, played with the kids, watched Mythbusters, and went to bed.

But what of the packages?

Thursday I get home late because of snow blanketing Boston. At least I had the foresight to take the 4x4 instead of the tin can I usually commute in. By the time I got home, I had just about enough time to run through the shower and start dinner (the kids have step dance class a few night every week, so I cook those nights).

After dinner I sat down in front of my computer to check the mail and my wife says "Are you *ever* going to open those boxes?". I opened the bigger box first, which was a restock of my favorite tobaccos, and a couple new ones I wanted to try. A couple of my usualls, Mississippi Mud and Autumn Evening, and a couple that I was interested in, Irish Blessing and Byzantium - all from C&D. The jury is still out on Irish Blessing, but Byzantium is *great*.

The other box was significantly smaller, and from Texas. I had no idea what could possibly be in it. The only place in Texas I ever get stuff from is Texas Knifemakers Supply, but I couldn't recall ordering anything from them in a while. Maybe it was a preorder that finally came in? No idea.

Boy was I in for a shock!

And now the pics:

Thank you all. This means so much to me. I was almost afraid to smoke it, but I couldn't help myself. It's a wonderful pipe, and it's taken a prime spot in my weekly rotation between a couple Talbert pipes.

And aside from what it means on an esoteric level, I have to say, it's one of the best looking pipes I've ever seen. You guys really nailed the shape, and I love the swoopy half-saddle (is that antler in there?). And someone out there has changed my mind about rustication. Whichever one of you did the rustication on this pipe can take credit for that. I never liked rustication, and I suspect it's because I've never seen *good* rustication. The rustication here is deep, craggy, and *very* interesting. I love it! You've inspired me to try my hand at it again.

Thanks again guys, this is truly a wonderful Christmas present!
Last edited by KurtHuhn on Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

All that and awesome laser nomenclature, too. 8) :lol:
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

YAY!!! I'm so glad you finally got it!

The laser engraving is awesome, eh?! I have wanted to find a place to do that here locally for some higher grade pipes, ya know?

Anyway, thanks for what you do for us here! We all love and benefit from the site and appreciate what you do for us.

YAY!
Frank

Post by Frank »

What a fantastic gift! And it couldn't have gone to a worthier person who has put much time and effort into this forum. A real "Mensch" as the Yiddish folks say.
I'm sure this site has been an inspiration to many pipemakers and enthusiasts, myself included.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

No doubt a well deserved gift from excellent craftsman. Thanks for all you do Kurt. Merry Christmas.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

wow... that's a hell of a Christmas present for a hell of a deserving guy. Thanks so much for all you do here, Kurt. Take care over the holidays!
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Now that is a very cool Christmas present! Way to go, Guys!

I hope it smoke well for you, Kurt. Congratulations! You deserve it.

That lazer engraving is awsome.

Rad
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Wow, good job guys. And it couldn't have gone to a better guy. Thanks for all your work here on the forums, Kurt, and Merry Christmas.
sethile

Post by sethile »

It's great it arrived, Kurt, and it's great to see the pics!

We had a wonderful time working on it for you. The great rustification is Tyler's. Yes, the insert is antler. Stem is German Ebonite, and it's Algerian Tassili briar.

I did the lay out, drilled and turned the top of the stummel, and made up the stem blank and fit it to the stummel, then sent it on to Ben, who did all the rough shaping, who then sent it onto Nick, who shaped the stem, who then sent it to Tyler who fine tuned the shape for us and did the rustification, and it was finally sent on to Gunner who did the staining, finishing, bowl coating, and had the fantastic idea of having it engraved.

We really appreciate all your work with the Forum, Kurt. I attribute nearly all my skills to this fantastic resource and I can't thank you enough for keeping it going and contributing so much to it!

Thanks very much for all you do for us! And a very Merry Christmas to you, and all the best in the new year!
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Glad you like it Kurt! Thanks for running the forum for us!

I must say I'm relieved to see this post. I sent the pipe long enough ago to have started worrying about not hearing any comments. I'm glad to learn it is safely in your hands.

Enjoy, and Merry Christmas good man.

Tyler
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

Wow Great idear guys...altthough you guys forgot to grade it I mean you could have sqeesed in a few more lines there :P

Too cool Kurt you deserve it
Smoke in peace!!

Love
Webpage www.geigerpipes.com
News/Blog http://news.geigerpipes.com/
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

A wonderful gift and well deserved.
Tano

Post by Tano »

Kurt,
I haven't posted in a long time. But I want you to know that I read the posts daily.
This is definitely the time to express my appreciation for what you do and thank all the participants for their most valuable contributions.
Congratulations on you well deserved gift. It looks fantastic.
I wish you and everyone best of the holiday season.
All the best,
Tano
souljer

Post by souljer »

Hello,

Here is a small poster I had made for this a while ago. However I thought my fellow pipe makers deserved the credit for what they did, but I had forgotten who did what, so Scott's post helped me out with that. Thanx pal! :)

By the way Kurt, I wanted to print this up and send it to you or I can send you a printable file if you have a better printer than I.

geigerpipes wrote:Wow Great idear guys...altthough you guys forgot to grade it I mean you could have sqeesed in a few more lines there :P

Too cool Kurt you deserve it
Made with respect & passion and as you say for someone who certainly deserves it.
There is no higher grade. :rockon:

I don't remember who thought of the idea of all of us making him a pipe. I was going to, because I think he deserves it, but someone else came up with the idea of doing it as a team.

I have to admit, it did come out nice, and I'm proud to have been a part of the process. :)

Best wishes during the holidays to all and a wonderful new year.

Gunnar
Last edited by souljer on Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.TotemStar.com - Some of my pipe related art
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

Way to go gentlemen ! Great Christmas present for a well deserved man.
I'll echo their sentiment, thank you Kurt !
The pipe, everything about it is great, nice job guys.
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes....Merry Christmas one and all !!!
hlp808

Post by hlp808 »

Man, That's a cool gift. :D :clap:

Congrats Kirk, A well deserved gift indeed.

Jaden
Nick

Post by Nick »

Yay! I'm so glad it got there bud! Merry Christmas. the pipe was a ball to work on, and the pics are great.

Thanks bud!

Nick
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

FYI, nick wanted the engraving to say:

"How does it feel to have a Johnson in your mouth?"
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Souljer wrote: By the way Kurt, I wanted to print this up and send it to you or I can send you a printable file if you have a better printer than I.
Thanks, Gunnar! I actually printed the image in your post on 4x6 photo stock, and it came out pretty good. I wouldn't mind being able to print a higher quality quality version though - JPG isn't always the best format for text.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
souljer

Post by souljer »

I can send it in the original Photoshop format. However you'll of course need Photoshop to read it.

Also 4 x 6 seems kinda small to read all that text especially from a jpeg. The jpeg version was just because I was putting it on the web. You could try printing it 8.5 x 11. That might help even though the letters may still appear a little smeary at least they'd be bigger.

Or, again, I could print it and send it to you.

By the way, maybe I could get some feedback on some of my pipe-work you now have. The bowl coating. Ironically, I guess the best review I can get of that is, you did not even notice it. :lol:

I was going to ask you why you wife insisted you open the box? Was she curious about what tobaccos you got? Or did she know the pipe was in there?

Also, who did the pipe drawing at the top of the forum pages?
Last edited by souljer on Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.TotemStar.com - Some of my pipe related art