Winter Shipping

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
ckr

Winter Shipping

Post by ckr »

Recently shipped a pipe out in two pieces that happened to be in the mail for three weeks, also happened to be Sweden so figure cold as hell. When received the tenon no longer fit the mortise even after two days at room temp it was still too snug.

Do you guys ship apart or together? and why?
Tyler
Site Supporter

Re: Winter Shipping

Post by Tyler »

ckr wrote:Recently shipped a pipe out in two pieces that happened to be in the mail for three weeks, also happened to be Sweden so figure cold as hell. When received the tenon no longer fit the mortise even after two days at room temp it was still too snug.

Do you guys ship apart or together? and why?
I always shipped together. Why? So when they opened the package, their first look at the pipe was, "Wow." Never thought about thing not going together properly from climate change, but that seems like another good reason to ship together. I shipped in a gun case, so there was no real danger of breakage from being assembled already.

Tyler
ckr

Thanks Tyler

Post by ckr »

It seems to me I always receive them in one piece also. For some reason I thought the wood would condense more than the delrin so not wanting the shank to crack I shipped it apart. It seems that what I thought was true but I didn't think it through as to what to do in that event. One piece from now on - live and learn and stop over thinking.
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Early on when I used to send pipes out for repair, they would come back separated. I think for fear of breakage in shipment.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

I had a stem break in transit once on me. I ship in two pieces now.