More lathes

What to buy a used tool? Looking to sell some extra stems or inlay material? Post your buy, sell, or trade requests and advertisements here.
Frank

Post by Frank »

JHowell wrote:For $500 it would be worth the work to change it to single phase and do whatever it needs (probably belts, a PITA),....
Would something like this make belt changing easier? http://grizzly.com/products/Power-Twist ... x-4-/G8127
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Here's a nice little Model A in NJ -- I would guess he means that the chuck is shot rather than that the spindle is bent, but that's something that will need to be cleared up. Will go quite a bit higher than $400, those collet closers are rare.

http://cgi.ebay.com/South-Bend-9-Lathe- ... dZViewItem

A SB in pretty rough shape. Would be a project, not sure I'd pay $550 for it, but if you were able to deal in person and the auction didn't seem to be going anywhere you might get it for a price that would justify the work. To be avoided if you want something to plug in and use:

http://cgi.ebay.com/South-Bend-10-Metal ... dZViewItem

Looks like that's about it on ebay tonight. A couple more Logans, but the sellers are crazy.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Here's one of the delusional sellers, but if your read the spiel, it looks like he has it listed for local sale, 2250 obo, which is MUCH different from a 2995 starting bid. It looks to be in beautiful shape, if it were near me I'd probably try to sell a couple of mine if I could get it for $1500. A very capable machine, and unusual to find one of these production machines that hasn't been beaten to a pulp. That turret would be just the thing for pipes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/11-FLATBELT-LOGAN-L ... dZViewItem
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

JHowell wrote:Matt -- yes, usually clear on the other side of the state. My garage and shop bear witness to the readily availability of cheap lathes in Pennsylvania. Kurt, that Logan already over $500. I saw one in CA go with no bids at $500, so I had hopes. These particular lathes seem like they go one way or the other, either they get no bids or they crack $1000. It's on the big side, anyway, doesn't sound like a good candidate for your shop.
How'd I miss this? I guess the mutant cold rhino-virus I contracted earlier in the week really ran me into the ground!

By "other side of the state" do you mean the eastern side, as in the side I happen to live in???? You're gettin me excited here, Jack!!
souljer

Post by souljer »

Grizzly was sold. Was advertised for $600. Don't know if that's good or bad.

Sent another PM Jack, regarding a Monarch. Any opinions on these? It looked beat up in the little picture I saw. What should I look for or avoid when I see it?

EDIT: Oh, just saw your reply. Thanx. Still waiting to hear back for a location and time to check it out. We'll see...
www.TotemStar.com - Some of my pipe related art
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

If the Monarch runs, and if you can manage to move a 3500# machine, you'll be probably the only pipemaker in the world with one. As I wrote, the king of machine tools, but way complex and heavier than sin. Replacement parts? Woof.
souljer

Post by souljer »

:lol: LOL :lol: :twisted:
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

http://cgi.ebay.com/SHELDON-LATHE-VINTA ... dZViewItem

Overhead drive Sheldon in NY, haven't seen one before. The overhead drive can seem a little scary, but is a great space saver. Not sure what the top speed on this lathe is, or what the reserve is, but it looks like it's a home shop machine in very good condition.
souljer

Post by souljer »

I really like that Logan you listed above. It's not too far from me, but I am missing the $2000 to even have a hope of getting it.

This one in NY looks perfect. Not too big or too small and I think I could afford it. Only problem is it's on the other side of the country. :evil: I'd probably cost me $2000 in fuel just to drag it back here. :cry:

I can't believe some of these machines though. Huge and hugely expensive! $10,000 - $30,000 - $50,000 Wow.
I keep thinking not only could I make a pipe and my metal tampers, I could make an airplane! :P

Just have to wait for the right one I guess.
JBW

Post by JBW »

Souljer wrote: ......hugely expensive! $10,000 - $30,000 - $50,000 ...........
When I had my own business I didn't even flinch at the prices. Now that I am working for someone else and looking for a hobby machine, I'm much more aware of the price. I guess it all depends on how many $ the machine is supposed to make for you..... :wink:

BTW, we just got a new milling machine in the shop, $500,000 + shipping. :shock:
Joel
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Don't know where Berea, OH is, but this guy has listed this Logan three times, at successively lower starting bids, but he's going to get zero action with no feedback, one very poor picture and an unreasonable starting bid. If anyone is local and can look at the machine it might be worth seeing if he'll listen to sense.

http://cgi.ebay.com/logan-lathe_W0QQite ... dZViewItem

This guy has somewhat unreasonable expectations, too, the lathe has gone around twice with no bids. Same deal. There's a lot of tooling there, if the lathe is in as good a shape as he says it might not be a screaming deal at $2K, but if you bought one that was shot for $300 you could have 2K in it by the time you got it to new condition and bought all that stuff for it. If he put the BIN at $1500 I think it would be gone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/11-FLATBELT-LOGAN-L ... dZViewItem
Nick

Post by Nick »

Berea is about an hour north of Columbus. The price sounds too high for me though, Bleech! Josh? This could be the one for you!
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

I wasn't suggesting that anyone should pay $800 for that lathe. It doesn't *look* to be in excellent condition, but all we have to go on is one terrible photo from a guy with no feedback. Nobody is going to bid on that. If he were near me and I needed a lathe, I'd go look at it. If it's in *great* shape I'd offer him $600, maybe settle at $700, and if he didn't take it I'd be the only bidder at $800. If it's in less good shape I'd offer him less. Say it's filthy, has no tooling, but seems to have little wear and runs well. I'd give him my phone number and tell him there's no pressure, I don't want him to feel insulted, I hope he gets what he wants out of it, but if he ever feels like getting rid of it for $500, give me a call. If it's filthy and worn but usable, $300.
souljer

Post by souljer »

I like that second one and it's not too far from me. For the right lathe at the right price I'd travel as far as a nearby state; Arizona, Nevada. It'd be worth a day or weekend trip.

I just don't have that 2K to begin to negotiate, finance a truck rental, etc. But it seems that's the ballpark if you want a decent lathe with some tooling. Time for me to start saving with that in mind.

A bargain basement deal is usually beat up, filthy and with no tools. Like you said, by the time you get it all together, you've spent two-thousand anyway. The difference is the lathe is still worn and time and effort is used fixing up the lathe rather than working on why you bought it.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

The Logan 11 can be moved in a Ford Explorer -- I've done it. Helps to have someone help load, but one guy with a good back can do it alone, hand truck or dolly if any distance is to be covered. You have to take it all apart, takes about an hour, hour and a half. Maybe easier to pick it up with a fork lift and put it on a flatbed, but if it's a matter of $2-300, I'd just do the work.

You're right on the money, so to speak, with the matter of bargains. You have to remember the old saying, when you buy a good tool, you only cry once.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Here's another in CA.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lathe-Logan_W0QQite ... dZViewItem

It's an 11, not a 10, with a turret. Looks like it was painted with a mop, but a sturdy machine. Has the nice big dials on cross slide and compound, and a collet closer. Collets rock.
souljer

Post by souljer »

Thank you Jack.

I, and I think we all, appreciate your input here.

I'll be watching this one if you think it'll do the job. He's also selling a phase converter. Does that mean I could plug it into my normal residential power? What's so great about collets. Are they better or more convenient than a Jacob's chuck?
Frank

Post by Frank »

Souljer wrote:He's also selling a phase converter. Does that mean I could plug it into my normal residential power? What's so great about collets. Are they better or more convenient than a Jacob's chuck?
If the motor & converter are 220v you will need an electrician to install a 220v outlet for you.

The collet closer makes for quick removal & replacement of workpiece or tool. Collets will usually allow you to remove the workpiece for inspection, etc, and then replace it back in the collet without losing (much) accuracy. At least, that's my understanding of them.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

I don't know what kind of phase converter it is. $45 is pretty cheap, if it's 220 and it works, running a 220 line isn't usually a big deal. 3-phase machines often go for less than 1-phase because you can't just plug them in at the typical home shop. This is a whole different discussion but my recommendation would be to use a variable frequency drive (VFD) instead, gives you variable speed control. Another possibility that you might need an electrician to check out is the lathe's wiring -- my 922 has one of these multi-tap motors that can be connected a bunch of different ways. I'd never try it myself, but first things first. We can worry about that stuff if you buy it.

Would it do the job? Well, yes, so long as it will run it will do the job. I can't answer for how much wear it has, but wear relates more closely to price than suitability for making pipes. It would be nice if there were a way to look at it, especially since the seller has only 4 auctions.