Lucite stems, Tenons.

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Briarfox

Lucite stems, Tenons.

Post by Briarfox »

I was wondering if anyone makes full lucite stems. Everything I read seems to suggest that derlin is used for the tenon on a lucite stem. Why is this and is it really necessary?
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Yep, I usually turn a tenon on acrylic stems because the only time I use acrylic is for a transparent stem and I don't like seeing the Delrin. Not a problem, it certainly is done. You have to make sure you let it cool completely before try-fitting it.
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

I agree with Jack. I often use acrylic stems if I'm looking for a pealized finish etc. I turn down a tenon. Follow the advice though. Slow and easy.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
LatakiaLover

Re: Lucite stems, Tenons.

Post by LatakiaLover »

Briarfox wrote:I was wondering if anyone makes full lucite stems.
Several a day, most days. Integral tenons on all but special requests and some repairs. Nothing tricky about Lucite except the suddenness os its "heat response." You must stay aware of---and stay on top of (control)---its temperature.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

Whats the best way to control it's temperature? Just take it slow? Do you ever use any oil to help keep it cool?
Frank

Post by Frank »

Briarfox wrote:Whats the best way to control it's temperature? Just take it slow? Do you ever use any oil to help keep it cool?
What heating method are you using to bend stems?
My experience is that a heat gun works best. You don't need cooling fluid, just control the amount of heat applied.
If you're referring to drilling, don't use high speed.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Briarfox wrote:Whats the best way to control it's temperature? Just take it slow? Do you ever use any oil to help keep it cool?
I was referring to cutting operations, not bending, btw.

To keep cool while cutting, alcohol works well. It evaporates quickly. I also use a touch of white mineral oil (the sort designed for cutting, not lubricating) from time to time. Slow and steady is also part of it (though what "slow" means to different people leaves the door open to later confusion.)

You're a board regular so probably know how I make stems is not typical of carvers, though.

My main reason for controlling temps isn't heat destruction---that never happens when things are set up and used right---but dimensional stability. I like cutting tenons that are a perfect "hydraulic feeling" fit off the machine, and don't need further adjustment. The only way to get it is keeping the material being cut a constant temperature.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Frank wrote: What heating method are you using to bend stems?
My experience is that a heat gun works best. You don't need cooling fluid, just control the amount of heat applied.
Not as easy as it sounds, though. Lucite especially can be treacherous. For tricky shapes, sometimes water pans and so forth are necessary. Think dodging and burning in a photo darkroom.
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

i was referring to the cutting of the lucite. I bend them with a heat gun as well. I'll try turning it slower, think my last came out a little burnt.