Stem Fixture/Jig

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Danskpibemager

Stem Fixture/Jig

Post by Danskpibemager »

For the most part I would consider the pipes that I have crafted and sold to be in the mid-level genre with higher quality pre-formed stems that I customize to fit the shape of the pipe. I have also hand-cut about a dozen or so stems from different materials with mediocre to relatively good results. I plan on spending (as a start) the next couple of weeks concentrating on perfecting my stem making skills. The problem that I have is that after about a hour or so my hands are absolutely killing me like I have advanced arthritis. Do any of you fellow Pipecrafters use a type of jig or fixture to hold the stem while you file/sand. I'm hesitant to damage the tenon I've spent so much time on by clamping it in a vise.

I happened to check out Love Geiger's website where he shows in a slideshow his shop setup and there is a photo of his wife/girlfriend working on a stem that is somehow clamped in a fixture. The photo does not really show what is being used. Perhaps someone could post a photo or sketch of what works for them. I make most of my own tooling for the lathe, etc so I'm fairly handy at coming up with a solution. I just need a little inspiration. Thanks in advance for any valuable input!!!
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I just have an old junk stummel that I use as a handle when I'm filing on stems.

Rad
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I have a piece of briar that I shaped into a cylinder on the lathe and drilled to the most common mortis sizes I use. 5/16" on one end, and 1/4" on the other. I sandblasted it it give it some grip. :)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
TreverT

Post by TreverT »

I just use my Taig. I posted about this somewhere else on here with a picture. I put the stem on an airhole bit in the headstock and the bitslot bit in the tailstock, and it's clamped handily between them for grip-free filing. I can use both hands to work on it, and spin it in place easily to check exactly how thin the bit is getting, by comparing it to the exposed length of the bit slot drill bit.
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I always thought that might be the world's most expensive filing jig, Trever. :)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

I took the simple approach. A piece of leather on my lap, stem in the pipe, and get to it.

I do keep the calipers and a small drill bit nearby to help check progress.