Stummel chuck

What to buy a used tool? Looking to sell some extra stems or inlay material? Post your buy, sell, or trade requests and advertisements here.
max

Stummel chuck

Post by max »

Hello
I am interested in purchasing a stummel chuck for my lathe. I have tried calling Ken Lamb but haven't heard from him yet, talked to Trent and his work seemed pretty good. Does anyone know of another chuck that is useable of if a used one might be available.
thanks
max
agi733@earthlink.net
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

If you scroll down in this section you will see a used Ken Lamb chuck available from Peter Ross. I'm sure he still has it. If you're just starting out, you really don't need a specialized pipe chuck... a scrolling 4-jaw with tower jaws (2 jaws removed) will work fine. The specialized chuck just makes it easier to rotate the stummel between bowl and mortise drillings while keeping the stummel indexed. Easier yes, but certainly not necessary. Buy briar with your savings!
max

Stummel Chuck needed

Post by max »

I think he sold that chuck on ebay. I forgot to write that if any one has a review of either chuck I would be very interested in reading about it. I have made a bunch of pipes and now use my 4 jaw with two jaws removed. I want to move up to a deeper throat.
thanks
max
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

The chuck didn't sell on ebay and he still had it, as of April 2007. He's living in Mexico, but I think a friend of his is holding on to it in the US. Try contacting him using the email in the post. He's a nice guy and he might cut you a bit of a deal.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

If you have a Oneway chuck, the Tower jaws (also from Oneway) will give you damn near as much throat as a Rudat or Lamb chuck. I use those exclusively now, and haven't found a block or shape that couldn't be chucked and held securely.

Not that I'm trying to talk anyone out of buying a "pipe chuck" if they really want it.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
max

Post by max »

i looked up the One way chuck and found their website. I did not find mention of their tower jaws. Do you have a link?
thanks
max
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

http://www.oneway.ca/chucks/accessories/tower_jaws.htm

Be sure to get the jaws specific to the chuck you have. The "profiled" jaws will offer the grip on square/rectangular stock.

Also of note is that Oneway isn't the only one that makes "tower" jaws. I'm pretty sure that at least one other chuck manufacturer makes similar jaws.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
max

Oneway

Post by max »

Thanks for the link. All of my blocks are Plateau and of course irregularly shaped. The stummel chuck grabs across two flat surfaces that are already there. This chuck looks like I would need to provide 4 sides to grab which would not allow off centering for drilling.
max
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

Max, you just remove 2 of the jaws and keep 2 opposing. That's all you need to grip the block.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Yep. Just leave two of the jaws off, and you have a "pipe chuck".

I can post pics of what I mean if you want.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
max

Thanks guys

Post by max »

I see how the chuck will work. My 4 jaw with two jaws removed works in a similar way. I tried Brad's chuck and having the pins at the end and the extended jaws works much better for complicated or larger shapes. I was going to buy a chuck from one of the two guys who make them but I am researching making my own from a 4 jaw.
max
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

There are not *only* two guys. I've brought up Mark Yingling before, yinglingm@verizon.net.

https://www.fastmail.fm/mail/Bison1.jpg ... **20836239

Sorry for the long link, when I strip out the download stuff it doesn't seem to work. Anyway, a rigid chuck is a good chuck. I won't insult anybody by saying my chuck is better than theirs, but if there's any better chuck it will take some proof. This thing is just rigid as hell, no chatter at all. I think my friend Mark can make these jaws for other chucks besides mine.
max

Post by max »

Jack I can't open the link./ Can you send me a tiny URL or send link by mail kind of thing.
thanks
max
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

If you copy the whole mess into your browser window the picture will show up. Some things I don't try to understand.
max

Post by max »

I tried 5 or 6 times.
max
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Hell, I don't know. I'm trying to post a shot. I don't know how to do tinyurl, there may be a couple of junk posts before I figure it out.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

http://public.jwh.fastmail.fm/images/Bison1.jpg

That looks more promising. Let's see if it works.
max

Post by max »

That looks great. Thanks for the effort Jack. I emailed him. Does he make them?
max
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Yes -- it's my design, based on a Bison 2-jaw chuck. Any 4-jaw chuck with 2-piece jaws would be workable, but the 2-jaw means less dust and crud gets in the scroll. The 2-jaw is a little more expensive, I think it was $200-ish just for the chuck and another $50 for the mounting plate, and the smallest it comes in is 6 inch so it takes a 9 inch metal lathe to swing it, but I've found the old saying to be true -- when you buy a good tool, you only cry once.
Frank

Post by Frank »

JHowell wrote:Yes -- it's my design, based on a Bison 2-jaw chuck. Any 4-jaw chuck with 2-piece jaws would be workable, but the 2-jaw means less dust and crud gets in the scroll.
I was about to contact him, but my chuck has single piece hardened jaws. I don't mind sacrificing 2 of the jaws if he can weld extensions to them. I'll contact him and see what he says.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett