pipemakersforum.com

The original forum for pipe makers on the web
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gothic Ball
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:54 pm 

Well, I just finished one that turned out a little more interesting than I had originally planned, I think.

I had hoped to do a nice smooth straightgrain pipe, but sometimes briar has other things in mind. Yes, I hit a few imperfections that went beyond what I would want in a smooth pipe.

And not wanting to just blast open those imperfections, I opted to rusticate in that lava rock rustication I did earlier. Only in black, it looks a lot more like wrought iron than lava rock.

But I had already been thinking of this one as being a rather Gothic design, anyway, so with the wrought iron thing going on, I think it works pretty well, overall-composition-wise.

I hate the badge/stamp thing at the bottom, and I wish I had done it a little differently. I may yet, but I'm going to think on it a bit.

Worth noting is the fact that this stem is Absylux®. There wasn't a lot of fitting involved with it, so it's no biggie to change stems later.

But since I have already been approached by a few people wanting to try out the Absylux, I figured I might as well go ahead and make a few pipes with Absylux stems to start with.

Last edited by pierredekat on Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:17 pm 

You've gotta quit posting pipes with that rustication!! I keep wanting to buy them and I can't afford it right now!!!!

Good job, Robert. Love it!!!! I'm working on one right now with a similar shape to it. I just hope I can get mine to look as good as yours does!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:27 pm 

Wow, great looking pipe and wonderful rustication. Beautiful.

Post subject: Re: Gothic Ball
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:40 pm 

I've mentioned before, I'm not a great lover of blasts & rustication, but you do such an excellent and different rustication that I can't help but be impressed.
pierredekat wrote:
Worth noting is the fact that this stem is Absylux®. There wasn't a lot of fitting involved with it, so it's no biggie to change stems later.

But since I have already been approached by a few people wanting to try out the Absylux, I figured I might as well go ahead and make a few pipes with Absylux stems to start with.

Speaking of ABS, I'm wondering how Kim (kkendal) is doing with his from a different supplier.

Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett

Post subject: Re: Gothic Ball
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:06 pm 

Thanks, guys. :D

Frank wrote:
pierredekat wrote:

Speaking of ABS, I'm wondering how Kim (kkendal) is doing with his from a different supplier.

Yeah, I'm wondering about that, as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:53 pm 

I just got the couple rods I ordered late last week.

Last weekend, I cut a couple pieces, faced them off, drilled the air holes, and added delrin tenons. I'll be shaping and polishing this weekend.

-Kim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:46 pm 

Well, Kim, definitely let us know what you think, as far as working it, and so on.