WTB / WTT for 4 jaw chuck and MT2 Drill chuck

What to buy a used tool? Looking to sell some extra stems or inlay material? Post your buy, sell, or trade requests and advertisements here.
hollywood

WTB / WTT for 4 jaw chuck and MT2 Drill chuck

Post by hollywood »

Looking for a good 6-8" 4 jaw chuck with a 1 1/2 X 8 thread. Been scouring ebay and there are a few, but the decent ones are really pricey. Also looking for a 1/2 capacity MT2 drill chuck. These don't need to be new, but at least usable for a while.

Can pay by MO or trade for serious cigars, pipe tobacco, collectibles, etc.

PM me if you can help.

PS - Might also need some HSS bits and such for my new Logan 200!? :wink:
Dave-
Frank

Post by Frank »

If you're looking for a scroll jaw chuck, it's probably best to get a new one. If a used one is worn, the jaws won't centre accurately. Independant jaws aren't that critical, since you adjust them individually.

As for drill chucks, it's easier if you get the spindle separately from the chuck. That way you should have a greater selection of chucks to choose from. Get a MT2/Jacobs Taper spindle, with a Jacobs Taper to match the taper of the chuck you buy. Jack can probably best advise you what size Jacobs Taper is suitable for your machine.

When it comes to chucks, prices vary enormously depending on the make, quality and tolerance.
PS - Might also need some HSS bits and such for my new Logan 200!?
You'll have to decide if you want indexable bits or individual, self ground bits.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

I got my taper and chuck from Rockler.

taper & chuck
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

If you're strapped, something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/South-Bend-Atlas-Lo ... dZViewItem

If you keep watching and putting snipe bids at $11, you'll get one eventually. Also watch ebay for 3-jaw chucks. I got a Bison with 2-piece jaws and backing plate from a surplus place on ebay for $75 on buy it now. If you're in a hurry, Enco is about the cheapest for Bison.

Jeff at Tools4Cheap (http://www.tools4cheap.net/) carries lots of used and import tooling. His Chinese 3-jaws are $120. They're not Bucks or Bisons, but they're on the better end of the spectrum for Chinese stuff. His QC toolposts are a pretty good deal, I have two of them. You can use a worn-out 3-jaw, which might cost $50 on ebay, you just have to complete your turning in one setup because you'll never get the work in the same place again.

For a 4-jaw, I'd look to the future and get one with 2-piece jaws which makes it a better candidate for a good set of pipe making jaws like my friend Mark Yingling made for me. (http://public.jwh.fastmail.fm/images/Bison1.jpg) You can even use a 4-jaw exclusively and dial the work in like a machinist. Someone posted a picture here a while back of a Oneway chuck mounted on a piece of pipe held by a 3-jaw. It initially struck me as having more overhang than I'd want, but I've got to say it's a good job of making do with what's at hand.

Oneways aren't that much less than a machinist's 4-jaw, but you will see them on ebay occasionally, this category is good to watch for that kind of thing.

http://home.listings.ebay.com/Power-Too ... ngItemList

Hope that's not too much stuff at once.
hollywood

Post by hollywood »

Thanks again for all the info, Jack. It is SO much appreciated.

I'll definitely be trying to save the duckets for a really good 4 jaw set-up with the tower jaws.

However; in the mean time, I really just want a chuck that I can set up rod stock in and start practicing and turning some stems and small pieces. The sooner I can start learning the better ...... maybe. :wink:
Dave-