Sharpening of spade bits?

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Charl

Sharpening of spade bits?

Post by Charl »

How do you guys sharpen spade bits?

With files or maybe a sharpening stone?

I've tried with files, but it doesn't seem to get as sharp as I would like it to be.

Charl
Benton

Re: Sharpening of spade bits?

Post by Benton »

Charl wrote:How do you guys sharpen spade bits?

With files or maybe a sharpening stone?

I've tried with files, but it doesn't seem to get as sharp as I would like it to be.

Charl
A file is faster if the bit steel is soft enough. Mine is hard enough to require a stone, though. Make sure it is ground correctly first otherwise you will spend a year working on it with a stone without ever getting a sharp edge.
Cheers, Benton
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

You can also use a diamond hone from DMT or EZ-Lap. I find they're faster than stones for quick touch-ups.

Then there's the poor-man's sharpener - sandpaper wrapped around a paint stirring stick.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Charl

Post by Charl »

Diamond hones should work quite well, yes. Just a shame they're so expensive here. I think I'll try with the stone for a start.

Thanks!
Frank

Post by Frank »

What you need is something like this 4 Grit Diamond Grit Hone Knife: http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite ... ories.html
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

I sharpen them on my bench grinder. Quick and easy. Just watch the angle you use.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
Charl

Post by Charl »

Wow! Why is it that the prices over there are so cheap! Something like that over here would probably cost in the region of $30!

If you use the bench grinder to sharpen, wouldn't you have to get new bits every month or so?

Charl
Frank

Post by Frank »

Charl wrote:Wow! Why is it that the prices over there are so cheap! Something like that over here would probably cost in the region of $30!?
Putting it succinctly, supply and demand. There are a shitload of Americans (especially in America :twisted: ) with lots of retailers competing for their scratch. Plus, inflation has kicked the snot out of the SA Rand.
Charl wrote:If you use the bench grinder to sharpen, wouldn't you have to get new bits every month or so?
You use a fine grit wheel to touch up the cutting edge. It shouldn't remove much material, unless you really lean into it, in which case you'll ruin the temper anyway.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett