Pipe #40 for review

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
flix

Pipe #40 for review

Post by flix »

Please review this pipe. I'm interested in what you think of the design. The shank cracked, was repaired, but is still off. The last picture is a detail of the roughest part:

Of course, it can't be sold (for much anyway). So I'm just either going to keep it or "give it away" on CPS.

Thank you for your constructive criticism.

--Michael
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Hey Michael. I think the main thing that jumps out to me when I look at this pipe is just the length of the shank extension. IMO, it's too long. I don't think the shank is too long. I think that part could work but I think that the extension and the shank being so close in size sort of throws off the design.
flix

Post by flix »

Hi Ben,

What are you doing up so late? ;)

Yeah, that's a problem that was addressed before on another pipe. I've since changed my way of doing extensions, at least on saddle bits. I'll be making the saddle and the extension approx. the same length from now on.

If the bit were tapered, not saddle, would it look acceptable? Or would a golden ratio be in order?

Thanks for the feedback.

Anyone else?
Frank

Post by Frank »

As Ben mentioned, the ratio of briar shank/extension/saddle looks "unbalanced". Either the extension should be approx same length as saddle with a longer briar shank, or, possible alternative, briar shank approx the same length as the saddle, with a longer extension. Just an idea, not sure if it will work.

I'm not sure if a tapered stem would change the "imbalance" much. I think the saddle stem works with that pipe, for me, at any rate.

Nice contrast staining on the briar. What wood is the extension?

I'm assuming the gap visible in the last pic is just that the tenon isn't snugged all the way into the mortise.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

The briar is gorgeous.

You know, you might think about cutting off the half-inch that's cracked and fitting a slightly longer stem? Or even use the same stem? Maybe use the existing mortise as a guide for the new mortise, and then cut off the cracked portion after your new mortise is deep enough?

Might make the difference between selling it or giving it away.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Continuing Robert's line of thought, cut off the cracked portion & replace it with scrap briar from the same block, thus the other wood becomes an insert in the shank. As he said, beautiful grain, a shame to have to give it away.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

Well I think it's a beautiful pipe! How did you repair the cracked shank, Glue?
Benton

Re: Pipe #40 for review

Post by Benton »

flix wrote:Please review this pipe. I'm interested in what you think of the design. The shank cracked, was repaired, but is still off. The last picture is a detail of the roughest part:
Thank you for your constructive criticism.

--Michael
That stain on the stummel is fantastic! You certainly don't want that to go to waste. I think that it would look good if you did away with the extension and put on a longish taper bit. That way you could keep the lines long and smooth so that it won't distract from the wood grain.

The extension clashes, in my opinon. The grain doesn't match the stummel, so they go together like a striped jacket and plaid pants.

It also looks like the grain in the extension runs across the shank rather than along the shank. Even without the crack that cross grain probably wouldn't last long.

Cheers, Benton
souljer

Post by souljer »

Benton wrote:The extension clashes, in my opinon. The grain doesn't match the stummel, so they go together like a striped jacket and plaid pants.

Cheers, Benton
Hi,

I agree with this quote. How long is the pipe, by the way? If, as it is, it's totaling out to 4 inches I can see why you want that giant extension. If not then I would change it. Actually I would change it regardless; just accept it as a smaller pipe if that's the case. From the pix I would say the pipe is short or your bit is fat.

In my opinion the extension is too long from a design perspective. I would try to make the extension add to the overall look and flow of the pipe. Right now everything seems to be fighting with each other element.

There are several design elements I generally don't like on pipes:
• The extension is almost the same length or larger than the shank.
• The saddle is almost the same length or larger than the shank. In this case the saddle is about half the extension, which is also not too great. The shank is only a little longer than the saddle right now.
• I generally don't care for really long stems on short little pipes, so that the pipe is 6 inches but the stummel is only about 2.5 inches.

I think these things in general are what make a lot of could-be-great pipes just so-so or downright ugly and clumsy. There is no doubt that the grain you have revealed on this bowl is very nice and worthy of extra effort.

Applying this information to help you -or- what I would do if I was forced to change a few things:
• Remove the extension.
• Add a wafer/spacer of acrylic (or ebonite if that's what you used for the stem) of about 1/8 inch thick to the end (depends how long the shank is).
• Reattach a shorter version of the extension that is less than half the length of the shank.
• Your bit attaches to the shank extension as it does now but reduce the saddle so that the shoulder depth matches the wafer/spacer between the stummel and extension.
• The Golden Ratio always applies.

Hmm, not sure even I understand that... let me put something together for you in PS.

Something like this:

I hope this helps you save this one and on future work. Sorry if it sounds pushy but I'm kind of running late and I'm trying to do all this in a short amount of time.
Let us know what you do and how it ends up looking.

:)
www.TotemStar.com - Some of my pipe related art
Nick

Post by Nick »

Nice PS work. I have to admitt, I like the pipe is the picture. perhaps a little longer in the stem.
flix

Post by flix »

I think you're right, Nick. The PS work is fantastic, but, the total length of the pipe seems to be way too short. Would it look as good, with the acrylic insert as is, but with a tapered stem instead of a saddle?

That seems to be the best way to go here. I'll see if I can get some acrylic on-line to do the job. Any suggestions for a source?

BTW, thank you all for the help on the pipe. I'm just starting to "get it" with the pipe making. I've got a long way to go to get to the magic (200) number!
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

flix wrote: BTW, thank you all for the help on the pipe. I'm just starting to "get it" with the pipe making. I've got a long way to go to get to the magic (200) number!
I must've missed this in another post somewhere. What's magic about 200?

Tyler
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I'll add a comment or two.

There are two main areas I think this pipe could be improved.

1. The transition between the shank and bowl. It is too rigid and not organic enough. We talk often of cutting a pipe to the bone as a good thing. I would concur with that. In this case though, I think it is cut past that a bit. It is too sharply cut. You could possibly get away with that if you made it PERFECTLY symmetrical with the other side of the bowl, but in this case it is off a bit and it just glares, IMO.

2. As others have said, the inlay seems out of balance. I think it is too long, and since it does not contrast with the color of the pipe, it would benefit from a transition ring to delineate the shank from the extension.

2b. You could get away with the long shank if you made the saddle MUCH smaller and shortened the stem overall by about an inch. I don't think that would be as good as shrinking the extension and adding a transition, because I think it is about impossible to pull of a long straight shank on a bent pipe. I feel that bent pipes generally look a little awkward if the shank is straight, and the longer that shank the more that is exaggerated.

As for Souljer's PS suggestion, I do not think the stem is too short. Rather, I think the issue is the shank to bowl transition is really highlighted in that photo making the bowl look off a bit. I think the length is just right in the PS, and the bowl is the thing making it feel slightly out of proportion.

Just my thoughts. Take them for what you paid for them!

Tyler

P.S. I think the button looks a bit clunky also.
flix

Post by flix »

Tyler wrote:
flix wrote: BTW, thank you all for the help on the pipe. I'm just starting to "get it" with the pipe making. I've got a long way to go to get to the magic (200) number!

Tyler
Nothing magic, it's just I saw a quote where one experienced pipe maker told a new one that he wouldn't get very good until he had made a lot of pipes. I can't remember if it was 200 exactly, it's just that this experienced pipe maker wanted the new guy to keep making pipes to gain the experience he needed. If I can find the quote, I'll post it.

Thanks for the input on the rest of the pipe. I really hadn't noticed the lack of symmetry. I agree that the bit is a little clunky also, it needs some work.

I'm going to come back to this one and post what I did.

Thanks again, all...

--Michael
souljer

Post by souljer »

flix wrote:I think you're right, Nick. The PS work is fantastic, but, the total length of the pipe seems to be way too short. Would it look as good, with the acrylic insert as is, but with a tapered stem instead of a saddle?

That seems to be the best way to go here. I'll see if I can get some acrylic on-line to do the job. Any suggestions for a source?

BTW, thank you all for the help on the pipe. I'm just starting to "get it" with the pipe making. I've got a long way to go to get to the magic (200) number!
Glad you liked the Photoshop quickie job. If only all pipes where that easy to make... (sigh)

Anyway, you never answered my questions.

I do agree with you that a tapered stem would improve the overall design. As soon as I read that, I realized that you were correct. Good job.

I think that the reason it looks so short is because of the fat bit. It's not in proportion to the pipe. It never was, but being shorter like the pic I made highlights this.

I also agree with what Tyler wrote.

I never thought of what I did as a finished pipe. It's a starting point or a guide that you may aim for, but will probably change a few things as you get into it. For example maybe a less bent stem, or a more bent stem. Definitely a thinner bit which will help elongate it visually.

Looking forward to seeing the progress on this.
:)
www.TotemStar.com - Some of my pipe related art
flix

Post by flix »

Souljer wrote:
Benton wrote:The extension clashes, in my opinon. The grain doesn't match the stummel, so they go together like a striped jacket and plaid pants.

Cheers, Benton
Hi,

I agree with this quote. How long is the pipe, by the way?
[snip]
Sorry, Souljer, for not answering your question. The total length of the pipe is 5-3/4", the bit is 2-1/4" of that. So you see why I hesitate to shorten it so much (6" is pretty standard for pipes like this, IMO).

Anyway, I've been thinking that there is no reason why I shouldn't use a vulcanite ring to set off the cocobolo extension from the briar. I agree that the ext. should be equal to or shorter than the saddle length. The next cocobolo extended pipe will use the golden ratio and the saddle bit. I'm going to go with the tapered for this one...

I'll post asap!

Thanks!

--Michael
flix

Post by flix »

Tyler wrote:

Tyler
I found where I got this: myself! ;)

I attributed this to Stephen Downie, in another thread. I believe it was Kurt that agreed in that same thread that it seems to be true in a lot of pipe makers' careers. Anyway, I've got around 150 more pipes to go before I get to that milestone...
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

flix wrote: Anyway, I've got around 150 more pipes to go before I get to that milestone...
Me too.
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Tyler wrote:
flix wrote: Anyway, I've got around 150 more pipes to go before I get to that milestone...
Me too.
If there was a "touchdown" emoticon, I think that would be appropriate here.

Flix... and take this for what it's worth because I'm absolutely no authority, but I don't think it matters if you make 10 or 10,000 pipes, "150 more" is still about what it takes before you "get there", if there is in fact a destination whatsoever.
flix

Post by flix »

hazmat wrote:
Tyler wrote:
Me too.
If there was a "touchdown" emoticon, I think that would be appropriate here.

Flix... and take this for what it's worth because I'm absolutely no authority, but I don't think it matters if you make 10 or 10,000 pipes, "150 more" is still about what it takes before you "get there", if there is in fact a destination whatsoever.
:lol: :lol: :lol: