ABS - So Far, I'm Impressed

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Frank

ABS - So Far, I'm Impressed

Post by Frank »

Started playing around with ABS today.
This stuff cuts like butter with no signs of melting.

Most folks recommend drilling the stem draught hole at the slowest lathe speed. I decided to kick it up a notch from 160 rpm to 250 rpm. Beautiful spirals of waste fed through the drill flutes with no hint of melting. Drilled the whole thing in seconds flat.

I reduced the base diameter (1") of the rod to 3/4" with a spindle speed of 1000 rpm. ABS ribbons came flying off, wrapping around anything that was moving, the chuck, the rod, me (the cat managed to scarper out of there to avoid being trussed like a chicken). Again, no signs of melting.

That's all I managed before having to go and mess with making dinner, but, yes, I'm impressed so far. Lovely stuff to work with. Added bonus, no singed rubber smell.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
pierredekat

Re: ABS - So Far, I'm Impressed

Post by pierredekat »

Frank wrote:I reduced the base diameter (1") of the rod to 3/4" with a spindle speed of 1000 rpm. ABS ribbons came flying off, wrapping around anything that was moving, the chuck, the rod, me (the cat managed to scarper out of there to avoid being trussed like a chicken).
Hehehehe :lol:

Yeah, I have been theorizing, based on the fact that the cuttings have as much physical integrity as they do, that an ABS/Absylux stem is probably darn near indestructible.

I haven't tested that theory yet, but the next time I mess up an ABS stem, I'm going to crank it down in a vise and start whacking it with a hammer to see what happens.
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Robert

Forgive me for taking the lazy route and not searching the forum, but who are some ABS suppliers?
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
hollywood

Post by hollywood »

Dave-
Frank

Post by Frank »

These guys seem to have the easiest online ordering: http://www.indplastic.com/index.cfm?id= ... &pageid=40
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett