Lady's pipe

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
dougk52

Lady's pipe

Post by dougk52 »

I got a couple of lady's pipes from the 1970's and my wife has an occasional bowl with me. One was perfect but the other had the stem stuck. I tried freezing for 15 minutes. The stem snapped off when I tried to remove it.
Can I take a piece of delron thread it and tap the stem and bottom it out tightly and fit into the bowl? The stem is very small and I haven't been able to find one remotely close to it. I could carve a stem down but it would be a lot of material removed from it to make it work.
What do you all think?
Frank

Post by Frank »

I realise it's too late, but for future reference: Freezing the pipe makes the rubber (vulcanite) harder & more brittle, thus more likely to snap. I usually go the opposite way, using a heat gun to soften both the tenon & tobacco gunk that's freezing the stem in the mortise. Most times it works, but not always.

To answer your actual question, if you're asking whether you can make a delrin tenon for the original stem, then the answer is yes. You can thread it or glue it, shouldn't make a difference. It's probably easier to just glue it. See Kurt's "sticky" on making delrin tenons.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
dougk52

Post by dougk52 »

It's to bad I didn't use my head when I was told freezing didn't work. Oh well its a learning process.
Thanks for the help.
Doug
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

I know a pipe repair person that will take real bad pipes and just place the whole thing in a container of denatured alcohol for a while. Submerges the whole thing and leaves it there for a while (15-30 mins). I've seen him do that... then he will just restain it after he has finished working on it.