Drill press conversion??

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
hazmat

Drill press conversion??

Post by hazmat »

So I have this drill press. Works just fine, but I don't use it much for drilling stummels any more. So I'm at an impasse in regards to what to do with it. I've considered canibalizing the motor and other various parts to build a sanding/finishing station, but I'm loathe to do that as the drill press aspect of it comes in handy for other operations.

I seem to recall a mention that someone(I think it might be Jeff??) converted their drill press by mounting it horizontally? If so, just curious as to how the stand would be configured that would hold the press horizontal.

Any help??? Thoughts? Thanks!!!

Matt
Frank

Post by Frank »

Just my opinion, Matt, but don't trash the drill press. There'll be loads of stuff, other than stummels, that you'll want/need to drill sometime or another requiring the accuracy/stability of a drill press.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

I'm not sure about the horizontal thing, but how's your buffer situation? I'll probably always drill my blocks on the drill press, since that's what works for me, but I also use my drill press to do all my buffing, too.

And they make a lot of nifty barrel sander attachments that might come in handy in a standard drill press.
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Frank...have no intention whatsoever to simply trash the press, not at all. I just don't use it often as a press so I keep considering using the parts from it to make a useful tool. I'm up in the air on that and have been since I stopped using it to drill my blocks with. I don't do much other work on the press, but I do some from time to time.

Robert... I use mine for buffing, too :) Kind of why I was wondering about mounting it horizontally. I could then use it for both sanding and buffing operations. And probably several other things pipe-related.