Not a Pipe but Interesting Carving

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
ArtGuy

Not a Pipe but Interesting Carving

Post by ArtGuy »

I thought those of us trying to carve very well crafted objects would appreciate this sculpture by artist Jud Nelson. It is lifesize and is carved entirely from a single block of marble.

Notice how the buttons, creases,collar and tags are all undercut.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Here is also a roll of toilet paper he carved.

jeff

Post by jeff »

Pretty cool stuff. I had an art prof in college, Steve Heilmer, who did a lot of scupting in marble. He stuck mostly to religious themes (e.g. milk flowing from a bowl over a rock to symbolize the virgin mary). This white italian marble makes such convincing milk! (Well, the material and a master behind the chisel and grinder). Thanks for posting.

Jeff
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I found an image of the sculpture you were talking about. It really does make convincing milk!

We have another thread about sources of inspiration. I think I look at this kind of stuff even more than I do pipes.
jeff

Post by jeff »

John,
That photo cannot begin to do it justice, as I'm sure is the case with the two previous ones you posted. That is actually a part of a series done by Steve all based on the theme of the virgin mary. He was quite dismayed with the requirements laid out by the people who commissioned the sculpture in the photo you posted because they insisted that the milk pour over the rock in the traditional virgin mary outline. However, he did some more that were much more symbolic than this. I saw one at the St. Louis University museum of art about 4 years ago that was a stone with a basin filled with milk. It was unbelievably realistic. The beauty of this quality of marble (and he scrapped one after shipment b/c it didn't meet his requirements) is that the color is indistinguishable from real milk. Seen from the side, the milk becomes somewhat transparent as real milk would. And to tie it to the pipe discussions, the finishing and detail work must be done with the utmost care in order to produce a convincing product. Clearly a semi gloss finish, or one finished to a lower grit would be unacceptable. It must be done to a glassy, or in this case milky, finish. Well, those are my thoughts.

Jeff
jeff

Post by jeff »

Actually, John, the photo of mother's milk that you posted was an unfinished version of the sculpture when it was still in steve's studio. Here is the finished product. Unfortunately, the distance from the piece doesn't do justice to the detail and true beauty that it holds.

Jeff
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Wow, that is so cool