New "faux" ivory product:

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
bluesmk

New "faux" ivory product:

Post by bluesmk »

Gentlemen,
I know it's been quite a since I posted but I check in quite often just lurking. The previous post on mamoth ivory led to the discovery in the ebay pen blank section of a material advertised as faux ivory. Given the price difference between the two, and the affordabillity of the faux, I felt it warranted investigation. I'm here to report The pipe I sent Rob Cooper last week for listing , he call me and had to ask me, "what kind of ivory are you using". I feel for those interested I'd share this info, Given the fact that this stuff not only looks good, it's durabillity is far superior than the real thing. check it out:[urhttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330238591327&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=014l]

Here's a link to the pipe "coopersark" has listed for me this week[/urhttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330238591327&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=014l]
Kind Regards,
Dan Chlebove
Gabrieli Pipes
bluesmk

faux ivory:

Post by bluesmk »

pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Super. Yeah, I had seen that on Ebay a few weeks ago, but I hadn't had a chance to order any yet. I just kept thinking "polyurethane?" I used to get skateboard wheels out polyurethane, and they were fairly rubbery. But apparently this is a much harder variety. Thanks, Dan.
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

It's a polycarbonate ! I Guess that's ABS, but not sure. It's very light-weight, shaves ,drills, and snds nicley....and for the price it really warrants some looking at, give it a shot. It takes awhile to get it, he makes it in small batches to order. He also makes the stuff for gun and knive scales.
Dan
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Polycarbonate is like Lexan, that bullet proof "glass" you see in banks and such.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Polyurethane, actually. It's great stuff, and you can get it at Masecraft as well. In fact, Masecraft has synthetic materials other than ivory. I've gotten the tortoise shell, amber, casein ivory, horn, and a few others. It's all good stuff.

The only problem I can mention is that is really, really needs sharp tools to turn effectively. Otherwise it likes to fracture and create a pitted surface. A metal lathe might solve this problem since you can easily control speed and pressure of the cutter. Other than that, it drills similar to vulcanite, and sands like it as well. The smell while sanding/grinding is different, but not offensive. It's also much more forgiving than acrylic to heat.

EDIT: The stuff at Masecraft is primarily polyester, with a couple being polyurethane. Sorry for any confusion.
Last edited by KurtHuhn on Tue May 27, 2008 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

I should have known you were familiar with it Kurt....do you have a URL for that outfit?
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
Frank

Post by Frank »

bluesmk wrote:I should have known you were familiar with it Kurt....do you have a URL for that outfit?
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
http://www.masecraftsupply.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

Thanks my friend !
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes :D
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

I ordered some imitation ivory called "tru-ivory" (http://www.truivory.com/) a while back for use on knife handles. Sounds like the same stuff, hand made including color variation, etc., comes in fresh, yellowed, or full antique colors. I had a long email conversation with the folks who make it as to its suitability for use in pipe stems. Their opinion was, don't do it. It's too chippy, can't be bent or thermoformed, and starts to break down at temperatures above about 200 F.

That's a shame, as it really does look just like the real stuff. I know the stem shouldn't ever see 200-degree temperatures, but a hot puffer could get there I'm sure. I don't really want anything that the manufacturer says starts to break down at heat in my mouth, thanks. :shock:

It's great for spacers, though.
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

Thats exactly what I use it for rings,collars, and furrules. Not stems.
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes