Pipe #6

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
wdteipen

Pipe #6

Post by wdteipen »

Here's my latest creation. The briar is near flawless with only one tiny irregularity in the grain (not a pit) where the shank meets the bowl that's really hard to see. The stem is hand carved from ebonite and is the best I've made so far. Everything is shaped by hand as all of my pipes to date. So, without further ado:

James Sunderland

Post by James Sunderland »

looks good, I would like to see a birds eye shot of it and a straight on shot facing the bowl. real good for #6
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

Nice billiard. Good job on the stem, too.

The only thing I noticed was the angle of the bowl. It appears to be right at 90 degrees to the shank... should be a couple degrees canted forward. Even if the bowl is at 90 degrees, it will appear as the bowl is slightly angled back toward the stem.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Well done! I especially like the staining!
Frank

Post by Frank »

kkendall wrote:The only thing I noticed was the angle of the bowl. It appears to be right at 90 degrees to the shank... should be a couple degrees canted forward. Even if the bowl is at 90 degrees, it will appear as the bowl is slightly angled back toward the stem.
Are you basically saying the bowl should be 90 degrees to the line of the draught hole?
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Actually, it should be more like 92 or 93 degrees. I like to make mine with even a little more, maybe 95 degrees, but I'm not sure. I just go be "feel". :)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
android

Post by android »

man, that's a nice looking pipe. fantastic color as well.
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

Frank wrote:Are you basically saying the bowl should be 90 degrees to the line of the draught hole?
No
KurtHuhn wrote:Actually, it should be more like 92 or 93 degrees. I like to make mine with even a little more, maybe 95 degrees, but I'm not sure. I just go be "feel". :)
THIS is what I was saying. The bowl should be canted forward a couple degrees so it doesn't "appear" that the bowl is tipped back.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Thanks for the replies. You're right kkendall, I didn't get the cant right. Good eye! I hadn't noticed until you made the observation. I will definitely pay more attention to that on future pipes.