Wax Question

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
nepenthes

Wax Question

Post by nepenthes »

I have Bee hives, so I have a surplus of beeswax

Can you use bees wax as a finish or would I have to prepare it in any way.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Too soft to use on pipes to sell, doesn't develop a high enough gloss and rubs off too easily. No reason you can't use it yourself, though. Lots of guys use it to color meerschaum pipes.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Almost all of the pipemakers use pure Carnauba wax as a final finish.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I was experimenting a while back and dipped a pipe I had made. I had a batch of beeswax melted because I was potting some pickups for a guitar, so I decided to see how it would look. It wasn't bad, but as Jack mentioned, it didn't get to a high polish. I found it a pleasant satin sheen, however. It also had a nice beeswax odor during the first several smokes, and with the right tobacco, it was very nice. I just used a cork to plug the tobacco chamber so nothing got in there, and held it under for about 45 seconds or so. I haven't done any since - not for any good reason though.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
nepenthes

Post by nepenthes »

What if I took the wax, mixed it with equal parts turpentine, and linseed oil... I would still have to ad some kind of finish to it wouldn't it?

What if I used Shellac rubbed it on the wood and what not, do some sanding, then use the Bees Wax oil finish? Ad a couple coats, and buff?
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

I don't think beeswax would serve any purpose in the formulation you describe, which is heading toward a rubbing finish, like a French polish. You're on the right track with shellac if that's the finish you want. The beeswax will always be soft and slightly dull. Don't let me discourage you, though, nothing to be lost by giving it a go.
Frank

Post by Frank »

nepenthes wrote:What if I took the wax, mixed it with equal parts turpentine, and linseed oil... I would still have to ad some kind of finish to it wouldn't it?
It's possible I'm preaching to the choir on this, but make sure you use the deodorized stuff. The other stuff stinks for ages.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
TreverT

Post by TreverT »

The only pipemaking use I have yet found for beeswax is in finishing meerschaums. Dipping a hot meer in liquid beeswax will get enough wax into the material to produce decent coloring.
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/