cyanoacralate (super glue)

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
pennsyscot

cyanoacralate (super glue)

Post by pennsyscot »

cyanoacralate ,not sure of spelling, is it good. I used it to glue the shank extension on my second pipe. I didn't want to wait all day to start working. Mistake or no? thanks, Scot
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

If it holds, it's good. I wouldn't use it for a shank extension, more brittle than the right epoxy, but that's just me.
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

You can use epoxy with a short cure time(like 5 minute epoxy) and you'll only have to stop working for about an hour or two before you can go back at it. A way to avoid having to stop is to keep a couple or three pipes in progress at once, in different stages of production. This way when one has glue drying up on it, you can work on another.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Yeah, CA glue is not the best stuff for shank extensions. Like Jack said, it's too brittle.

The best stuff to use for stem rings, shank extensions and caps, etc is a structured epoxy like T-88. Long cure time, but unbeatable hold. And also be sure to leave the mating surfaces rough to give the epoxy something to hold on to.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

There is a 3/8" piece of delrin that runs through the shank extension, accent ring and into the stummel. I have T-88, but I wanted to take advantage of the available time. If it fails I guess I can glue it back together. Thanks for the info all , Scot