The BO-Bear Pipe DIED

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

A quick fix that you can try is to stick that new stem in a little to spread the shank, drop some thin CA glue (aka SuperGlue) in the crack, and remove the stem. Stick a clamp on it right away, and wipe up whatever leaks out with something lint-free. Let is sit overnight to cure.

Just make sure your stem is the right size before stuffing it in again. :)

You could try a metal ring on the shank, but I don't think that would look good, and the shape of the shank wouldn't lend itself well to that.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

I lost a pipe this weekend too. My lil seahorse. Apparently the tb chamber wall was too thin in one spot and it burnt through. I thought it was just a hot spot. I mean there was no scortching on the inside of the bowl. But I gave the spot a little tap and chip just fell away. BLEACH! Don't think this is repairable. Ohh well. I'll just have to make another! BTW, it did smoke much better with a bigger chamber. Still got an occasional gurgle, mostly due to the mortise/tennon fit - or lack there of. But none of the ultra wet goopy bottom of the bowl kinda thing like before.