Help with finding a stem

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Spence Pipes

Help with finding a stem

Post by Spence Pipes »

I just got a Savinelli 2320 bowl from ebay. It's in great condition but needs a stem. I have not made a stem yet, so I am looking for somewhere to buy one. Does anyone know where I can buy a pre made or a good used orginal stem? I checked the local pipe repairmen and to have one made I am looking at $50.00 or more. I could but a new pipe for that. LOL. Any help is appriciated. This is the type of stem. It does not have to be a P lip stem.

[/img]Image
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Have you you contacted PME?

http://www.pipemakers.org/pipe_repair_info.html

They do replacement stems.

Half the time I end up doing Paul's replacement stems any way.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Almost certainly, any stem you buy will need to have the tenon turned. Even a replacement stem directly from Savinelli would not guarantee a perfect fit. Suppliers will have a wide variety of stem blanks in various styles, but I doubt anyone will sell a stem you can simply push in and smoke. Perhaps this is just the motivation you need to start making stems. : )
Frank

Post by Frank »

Robert Perkins aka pierredekat used CAD to draw a bunch of premolded pipe stems in DWG format. Ask him if he will sell you stem no. 429, if he still has one. This most closely resembles what you're looking for. It will still require some work on your part to make it fit and look like the original.

Otherwise, look through what PME have to offer in premoldeds for something similar.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Spence Pipes

Post by Spence Pipes »

Thanks for the help guys.
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

How's it going.

Wildest thing.

I have been trying to get some tobacco seeds out to you, but the thing that has been holding me up is the fact that I could not figure out where my little, miniature ziplock bags had wandered off to.

I had been thinking about going over to Hobby Lobby to buy some more, but I just haven't had time. So the tobacco seeds have been sitting here, sitting here, sitting here...

And just now, I went to search through my preformed stems to see what I had, and there were those crazy miniature ziplock bags I could never find.

I'll try to get you a package of seeds and stems in the mail in the next day or two.
Spence Pipes

Post by Spence Pipes »

Thanks Robert, let me know what I owe for the stems.