Alternative wood

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
alan

Alternative wood

Post by alan »

Hi everybody. I'm new to the forum. I've been reading the posts for a couple of weeks now, and have really enjoyed seeing all of your interactions and have already learned a ton.

I've seen mentions of some of the woods other than briar that some folks have used, namely walnut, cherry, olive, and osage orange, but I have yet to find a nice simple list of what works and what doesn't.

I'm in the US and have been feeling out what the chain stores carry, and some of what the smaller lumber supply yards carry around here, but as I'm sure most of you know, finding untreated wood can be a bit tricky. Do any of you know any pages with a straight-forward list of wood that will work, and what is a bad idea? I've checked out the toxicity list I've seen mentioned in a couple posts, but have also seen people mention success making pipes out of wood on that page.

Thanks for any help.
pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

Haven't tried to use any alternative materials yet. But, you may find this article helpful. http://www.naspc.org/otherwood.html
alan

Post by alan »

Thanks. That was a good article. :D
alan

Post by alan »

So I've got a couple of briar pieces in the works now, but have also been messing around with some nice walnut and cherry. I don't have anything finished to show off yet because the pimo folks went on vacation the day before I placed my order for buffing pads and waxes, and they aren't coming back until sept 3. :cry:
*That also means no more briar for a couple weeks and no stems :evil: *

Patience...

Anyway, the first walnut and cherry are all for me, to see how it smokes. Thought I'd report my findings:

The walnut stays cool when smoking. The walls are 1/4 and no heat is coming through. It is however a very wet smoke. Even using a pipe-cleaner on the stem every time, I am gurgling badly at the end and there's a puddle of tar. I even threw in some old dry tobacco and it still tarred badly.

The cherry, on the other hand, is an absolute pleasure. The same tobacco that gummed up the walnut smokes smooth and dry in the cherry. It is a very light wood, so the first few smokes have been loosely packed and I smoked slowly. It still got a bit hot to hold, but it is caking nicely and doesn't seem to be charring badly. I think I'll be smoking full loads out of it after only a couple more light ones.

I also have to add that since I have the sad minimum of tools, working on the cherry was pleasantly easy. I'm forming newly bulging muscles in my forearms from using carving tools on briar, and the cherry cut like playdough when they're compared. I cannot wait for my lease to expire so I can get a place where I'll have more than a balcony for a workshop! Yay room for tools!!