New to the group

General pipe discussion
Timberwolf

New to the group

Post by Timberwolf »

Hi guys,

I have just recently joined the site after lurking for quite some time.

I want to start making pipes as soon as possible. I don't have all the tools yet, but from what I gather, you can make pipes with even the most basic tools.

I have a drill press, spoon bits, disk sander and coping saw. I bought some Brazilian Cherry to practice pipe shapes so I don't ruin beautiful briar until I feel a little more comfortable with getting pipes in shape.

My first attempt was a freehand, but due to a draft hole that was not centered enough, I ended up sanding the length of the stummel too short.

My second attempt was a bent brandy, but I did not leave enough wood around the chamber and when sanding with a wooden plug inserted into the chamber, I blew out the side of the pipe.

I've done a lot of research and I was wondering if the PIMO book on crafting pipes at home is a good resource. It sure seems to be, but I'd like some input. If there are other resources I'm all ears - or is it "eyes"? :D

Awesome site guys!
"A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan." -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton"
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

The PIMO book is well worth the money. When I was first starting out, I found it incredibly useful. And anything not in the book is probably here on the forums somewhere.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett