Health risks and pipe smoking

General pipe discussion
jeff

Health risks and pipe smoking

Post by jeff »

So, I've reached that point in my pipe smoking where concerns for my health have been voiced by those who love me. It's time to plumb the depths of the health risks and the knowledge that you all have acquired on the subject. Here's the concern:

I smoke 1-2 times per week. That's right, not 1-2 bowls a day, nor 4-5 bowls per day, but 1-2 bowls per week. The risks are negligible, of that I am fairly confident. However, out of concern for peace of mind for my wife, does anyone have any data on the health risks? I've googled and found several things through cancer and government organizations, but their language is entrenched in the "stop smoking now!" rhetoric. So entrenched, in fact, that the language that is used as well as the interpretation of some statistics is skewed at best. i.e. % of lung cancer from 700 patients...6% pipe/cigar smokers...4% non-smokers. But it is written up as a 50% greater risk, or something like that. Although the language is accurate, it is also misleading in that it fails to account for many other factors in the tested population, as well as what is considered pipe smoking (e.g. 1-2 bowls/day or 4-6 bowls/day).

So, anyway, enough rambling. Does anyone have any helpful info for me?

Thanks,
Jeff
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I have one more question to tag onto those who might answer... who knows how the statistics are modified by those who inhale and those who don't?? I've been suprised a few times when polling pipe smokers and finding out how many of them inhale.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I don't have any data to give you, but from what I've seen your rate of smoking doesn't even show up on the radar. The studies usually look at "moderate to heavy" smokers, and for pipes moderate is something like 5 bowls a day.

Of course, I sure you've heard about the Surgeon Generals report of the 60's that resulted in the warning on tobacco products. It showed that moderate pipe smokers (see above) who didn't inhale lived LONGER than NON-SMOKERS.

Tobacco is veggies!

:D

Tyler
JMB

Post by JMB »

jeff,
I have No data to give or advice for that matter only MO. I turn 60 come Sunday, I have smoke, chewed and dipped at one time or another since I was about 20. To me it really does matter as I have worked Oil Field & Refineries for those same years. Been around and handled just about ever Chemical known. They say those Chem's cause cancer just like smoking does. I have No trace of the Big C in my system. My Dad worked the Patch also and when he was young he Painted with "Lead Base" paint, work in the Ship Yards with raw Asbestos again No C when he died at the age of 80. So at my age I don't care, I got to go with something, just not soon I hope.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Thanks for the opinions guys. As you can probably imagine, I feel the same way about it. At the extremely low rate that I smoke, it is neither a habit nor a major risk. However, I still think that it is important to know the risks involved in something like this, or anything for that matter. It would set my wife's mind at ease. I know what I think. Thanks.

Jeff
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Jeff, I can't cite reports or studies - mostly because nobody in my family has ever questioned my smoking a pipe. However, I can tell you that, if you don't inhale, the risks are so extremely low, that you probably don't even count in most studies. Your low number of bowls per week would totally disqualify you from most studies as being a "statistical anamoly".

In the "doesn't really affect me any" department, I smoke 3 to 4 bowls per day (more on weekends) and consider myself fairly healthy. I jog on a regular basis, I routinely go on long bike rides, I lift weights, and I'm a former amature bodybuilder.

Now, I used to smoke cigarettes, so I know what the health impact of those is. I can speak with authority that there is simply *NO* comparison between cigarette smoking and pipe/cigar smoking - especially if you don't inhale. Cigarettes are nasty, nasty stuff - and I'll never have another as long as I live. Pipes, in my opinion (which is far from expert) are a negligible health risk - especially at the extremely low rate that you smoke.

To be brutally honest, it sounds like your family may have fallen victim to the anti-smoking crowd. Those folks base all their info on cigarettes, not on pipes or cigars, so anything told to should be taken with a grain of salt. Even at that, most of their "research" is suspect - there was a posting on ASP a few days ago about epidemiology and how these studies are flawed. It was a very good read. Shout if you need the link - I have it bookmarked on my other computer.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

based on my hunches, a little study on some tests, etc... I've told my wife that at the rate I smoke (which is about the same or LESS than Jeff) I just fall back into par with the rest of the US who eats Mcdonald's toxins when I don't :D
jeff

Post by jeff »

bscofield wrote:based on my hunches, a little study on some tests, etc... I've told my wife that at the rate I smoke (which is about the same or LESS than Jeff) I just fall back into par with the rest of the US who eats Mcdonald's toxins when I don't :D
I've tried that one too Ben. It's no good. I agree though, the same is true for me.

Kurt, I would appreciate that link that you mentioned.

Jeff
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Jeff, I just caught this. I'm back at the office right now, but I'll post that link as soon as I get back home.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

That link is here:
http://www.spiked-online.com/Articles/0000000CA5AB.htm

Pretty darn good read, and sheds som elight on how the anti-smokers think. Remember, there's lies, damn lies, and statistics. All these anti-smoking figures are all based on statistics.... :(
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com