To rusticate or not?

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Christopher Brunton

To rusticate or not?

Post by Christopher Brunton »

Howdy all,

I'm just finishing up this here pipe...Now, I'm not big on naming shapes or pipes. If I had to name one, I think Bob is a good place to start. On the other hand, here, I present to you the Aluminum Trumpet Farting Sperm. I have been told that this is probably not a good name. What do I know? I wanted to name my daughter Magnesium Cylinder Brunton, or, secondarily, California, but was told by the state of Austria that both were Inappropriate, as they are not found on the calendar, which has a Saint or semi Saint listed for each day of the year. (Really, I'm not making this shit up.) and You Have To Pick one of those names, unless your religion dictates otherwise. (I don't need one) They Love the Catholic flavor here and me, I love life without the fingers of church or state. Ironically, I gave up. So, Emily was born.

Anyway, there is a "knot" on the left side of the bowl here which will doom the pipe to rustication, unless someone convinces me otherwise. I think the wood is butt ugly.
Also, the mortise needs a bit deeper chamfer/countersink to allow for the trumpet and it's complete, inevitable insertion. (Sorry, but it is a sperm, right?)

No wax has been harmed in the making of this pipe.

By the way, didn't I read some stuff on this forum about ring grain being a sign of bad buffing? I tell you, that ring grain has been popping out since conception.......ANY thoughts?

thanks for looking,
chris

p.s. I know all about the scratches on the stem. I await secondary plastic polish. I currently use HUT liquid and it is great as long you go to 800 grit first. Novus systems can make your life a whole lot easier.....

KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: To rusticate or not?

Post by KurtHuhn »

Christopher Brunton wrote: By the way, didn't I read some stuff on this forum about ring grain being a sign of bad buffing? I tell you, that ring grain has been popping out since conception.......ANY thoughts?
That's crap. Some briar shows prominent ring grain just by virtue of being sanded. I've found Algerian briar to be particularly prone to this. The tradeoff is that Algerian briar doesn't usually blast all that well. So while the ring grain is visible smooth, it isn't easy to make it pop out once blasted.

BTW, I see absolutely no reason to rusticate that pipe. Buff, it, wax, it, and enjoy.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

Great shape! I do not see the flaw that has condemned this pipe to rustication. I've never heard of plastic polish. Could you tell me where you get it and describe it's use? thanks, nice work
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Wouldn't rusticate that pipe.

That knot is not a knot.

It's just some of that weird circular graining. Knots look like a branch has been cut off at the spot, and there are usually very small star-like cracks in the center.

Visible ring grain is not a sign of bad buffing. Wavy ring grain that is raised just a bit so the surface isn't smooth any more is a sign of buffing too hard.

Rad
Tsunami

Post by Tsunami »

I would not rusticate it either. In fact look at Senatorov's #52 pipe, it has the same type of ring on it's side too. I think it is just fine the way it is.
flix

Post by flix »

I vote no to rustication also. In fact, I would sand it back down to 200 grit and contrast stain it to showcase the interesting artifact. Looks pretty cool to me...
android

Post by android »

i think you're being a bit too harsh on your own work. it's a nice looking pipe, interesting shape and nicely formed. i agree with the suggestion to sand it back down and contrast stain it, but that's just me.

not to hijack an answer, but pennyscot: the hut plastic polish is used by turners (and others), as is the novus for polishing acrylic and other plastics. the hut will not shine as well as the 3 step novus polish system.

you can get HUT at woodcraft or rockler or you can find it online really easily. as for the novus, i know you can get it here (not sure if any stores carry it, but probably): http://mlkwoodworking.com/home.php?cat=5 (and plenty of other places)
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

Nice pipe and a very amusing post ;) I enjoyed it.
Christopher Brunton

Thanks y'all!

I guess I misspoke when I called it a knot. But it does remind me, due to it's circularity of a knot in a pine 2x4. I know it's not the typical knot that's going to fall out or otherwise affect anything but looks, but I don't like the way it looks. I don't like the disruption of the (shall we call it) circle thingy. I had thought that this would be a good pipe to rusticate also because the shape is fairly well defined and I need to practice keeping definition when rusticating.

On the other hand, I'm moving to California on Monday so, in the name of saving time, I just lit up a bowl of Rum Flake in this thing. It smokes just fine. (I was a little worried about the aluminum application affecting flavor.) Again, thanks for all the comments..

chris

p.s. Kurt, (or anyone else) on the subject of ring grain, what was the comment I read about ring grain showing on a smooth being a bad thing? I think that if ring grain shows up on a smooth, and the grain is not raised, it can be an interesting trait. If I remember correctly, the original author of the comment was trying to say that visible rings on a smooth are a sign of poor craftsmanship. That, I would say is a limited viewpoint and, Crap.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Christopher Brunton wrote: p.s. Kurt, (or anyone else) on the subject of ring grain, what was the comment I read about ring grain showing on a smooth being a bad thing? I think that if ring grain shows up on a smooth, and the grain is not raised, it can be an interesting trait. If I remember correctly, the original author of the comment was trying to say that visible rings on a smooth are a sign of poor craftsmanship. That, I would say is a limited viewpoint and, Crap.
I think I recall that discussion. I don't recall the specifics, however. I do recall a discussion concerning raised rings on a smooth pipe, as Rad mentioned. That happens when you buff a little too hard and bring out the same raised grain that you might if you sandblasted. You can fix it by sanding back with 600 grit. I agree that if this is evident in a finished pipe, it may be a sign of poor attention to detail.

I'm actually working on a pipe right now that's got very prominent ring grain brought out by staining. It can make for a really interesting effect.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

That ring grain discussion started with Latakia Lover's review of a Rad belge. He claimed that ring grain showing (not necessarily by touch or surface uneveness) on a smooth was a sign of a lazy sander who skipped to buffing without sanding enough. I thought that was bogus and asked the forum their opinion. It's clear now that ring grain prominence is a character of the block and not an indication of a bad craftsman... although surface waviness is sign of buffing too hard. And it's also clear that LL may know pipes, but didn't know much about making them.

Oh, yeah, I do like the pipe, don't think it should be rusticated, and the whorl is cool... it kinda echos the shape of the bowl. I think the aluminum trumpet should enter the sperm's flagella in one continuous straight line with the shank. It appears to be cocked up.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

kbadkar wrote:That ring grain discussion started with Latakia Lover's review of a Rad belge. He claimed that ring grain showing (not necessarily by touch or surface uneveness) on a smooth was a sign of a lazy sander who skipped to buffing without sanding enough. I thought that was bogus and asked the forum their opinion. It's clear now that ring grain prominence is a character of the block and not an indication of a bad craftsman... although surface waviness is sign of buffing too hard. And it's also clear that LL may know pipes, but didn't know much about making them.
Hey kbadcar,

Surface waviness was exactly what LL was talking about. Here's the quote from that review:

"a complete lack of growth ring waviness indicated there wasn't a premature shift to a tripoli wheel to rush completion."

Growth ring waviness on a smooth pipe is not good.

Rad
Frank

Post by Frank »

With reference to the Novus system, since it is a liquid, my assumption is that it is meant for hand application rather than a buffing wheel. In my quest for the ultimate shine I bought all 3 of the Novus items (Coarse, Fine, Polish) and now intend to dump them back on ebay. If you have a buffer and decent quality fine compound, you don't need Novus. They are, however, great for removing scratches from CD's and DVDs.

I also think the pipe looks fine as it is. Anything LL (or Random, for that matter) have to say must be taken as gospel. Thank god I'm an athiest! :twisted:
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

RadDavis wrote:
kbadkar wrote:That ring grain discussion started with Latakia Lover's review of a Rad belge. He claimed that ring grain showing (not necessarily by touch or surface uneveness) on a smooth was a sign of a lazy sander who skipped to buffing without sanding enough. I thought that was bogus and asked the forum their opinion. It's clear now that ring grain prominence is a character of the block and not an indication of a bad craftsman... although surface waviness is sign of buffing too hard. And it's also clear that LL may know pipes, but didn't know much about making them.
Hey kbadcar,

Surface waviness was exactly what LL was talking about. Here's the quote from that review:

"a complete lack of growth ring waviness indicated there wasn't a premature shift to a tripoli wheel to rush completion."

Growth ring waviness on a smooth pipe is not good.

Rad
Okay, my bad if that's what he meant. :oops: On some old Grecian blocks I have, the ring grain really pops out with stain and gives it a "wavy" look, but it isn't at all wavy on the surface. I guess I took the quote in my own context.

It is a really nice review, all in all... and no doubt the praise is well deserved.
Christopher Brunton

Rad, my point was that there could be no " premature shift to a tripoli wheel to rush completion" since I don't work that way. Trust me, Schildi the turtle is faster than me. So how come I have ring grain showing (not the ring/knot I mentioned earlier)? I have never had this show up before.

Hmm, maybe I'm getting too fast? The surface is smooth, with no ripples, but as you may see, there are rings showing. Shit, I must be a slob. What's the deal?

thanks
chris

p.s. Just for fun....Why is it a bad thing for growth rings to show? Should all pipes wear bloomers?
Last edited by Christopher Brunton on Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Christopher Brunton wrote: I don't work that gay.
:shock:

Hhmmm, not sure what to make of that?... I just wanted to take it out of context.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Christopher Brunton wrote: Hmmmmmmm, maybe I'm getting too fast? The surface is smooth, no[w] ripples, but, as you may see, there are ring waves. [Poop], I must be a slob. What's the deal?

thanks
chris
The deal is: don't worry about it. It is the nature of the wood you are using. Some regions' wood, or harvestings, or burls, or blocks from different sections of burl, or cuts (cross cut vs. straight), are ringier than others. I'm not sure what the variables are that determine ring prominence or not, but you don't have to make them disappear to be considered a craftsman.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Chris,

There's nothing at all wrong with growth rings showing on a smooth pipe. you can look at a super nice straight grain and see the growth rings most of the time.

What we're talking about is buffing too hard and bringing the growth rings out in relief so the surface isn't really smooth any more. Buffing really hard can actually remove a little bit of the softer wood leaving a "valley" and "peaks" where the harder wood is. Just like blasting, only "smooth".

Your pipe looks fine.

Rad
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Just as illustration, here's a pipe I made yesterday that show very prominent growth rings, but I assure you is absolutely smooth:

It is what it is. Some wood will do that. I actually like the effect.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Christopher Brunton

Ahhhh, ok. Thanks guys.

as far as this goes:
I don't work that gay.

typos happen. That's what the edit button is for.
-chris