Group ordering briar

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Nick

Group ordering briar

Post by Nick »

We were chatting away today in chat, and the idea got brought up to order a bunch of briar for folk from http://www.briarblocks.com/pipes/. If you're interested, check it out. Kurt says you get a great break on price if you order 50 plus blocks.

If you're interested, reply here and we'll organize a buy.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey Nick,

I would be interested in getting in on this.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
jeff

Post by jeff »

Why did you decide on Jaume Hom out of curiousity? Not that I have a problem with his briar, but what about Romeo briar or www.briargrains.com ?

I might be interested in this as well. Someone do the numbers and let us all know what the per block cost would be. Also, are we all interested in extra extra plateaux or ebachon or what?

Jeff
JohnCongleton

Post by JohnCongleton »

I'm interested if the order gets split up enough ways. :D
Nick

Post by Nick »

Being a numbers geek, I'd be happy - actually it sounds fun - to run the numbers on both of these places. Jaun Hon was picked simply because Kurt said her got a good deal and well he posted the link. *shugs* Both places are good. We'll see who has the best deals.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I deal with Jaume because I like the guy - very helpful, and patient with the Americano. :) His briar is pretty darn good as well.

My last shipment was 100 blocks of extra-grade ebauchon, at about $360 - that's less than $4 per block. Yeah, I had to get 100 blocks (actually, you can do just as good if you get 50 blocks) but I make a lot of pipes - so it's worth it to me.

I haven't bought from Romeo Briar or anyone else, so I don't really have a basis for comparison, and what I needed this go-round was ebauchon, so... there you have it.

Next month I'll be ordering some plateaux from him, so I'll be able to comment on that stuff when I get it in.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

divide that by one more and let me know what it comes out to!
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I'd be interested in experimenting with that wood. I'd be good for 10 pieces or so.

Tyler
JMB

Post by JMB »

Is that with or without shipping charges???

KurtHuhn wrote:
"100 blocks of extra-grade ebauchon, at about $360 - that's less than $4 per block. "
abbeypipes

briar

Post by abbeypipes »

I use jaume homm he is helpful offers a good service and his briar is of good quality ,out of the last 50 blocks only one has had a flaw that was too big however this was only found when then the bowl was turned,I think that is pretty good considering the fickle nature of briar.I have thought that on his big orders there is big savings to be made regards
Nick

Post by Nick »

Updated 7/19/2004

Cool! Looks like we'll have a good order where ever we buy from. I've inquiries to all three places. Once we get solid figures we'll decide where to order from, although I know Tyler was interested in Jaum. If you all are OK with it, I'd be happy to organize the shebang - coordinate funding and shipping and such. I will be out of town for about 10 days starting like this afternoon, so if anyone is in a rush, perhaps some one else can mange the details. No worries for me either way.

I think the first thing wee need to ID is what we order and the amount we order. I'm sure for more than a few of us price will have a big say in it, but lets get a ball park figure together. I'm of a mind that we order plateau. Both JH and Briar Grains have two different grades. Romeo is probably the same. What do you all think? X or XX? Perhaps we can do a bit of both. Additionally, what size are we interested. The R2.5/small seems fine with me. As Kurt described it to me, thats a block of about 2.5"x2.5"x3-4". Is that OK with everyone? Or again, perhaps we could do a mix and match thing.

So: here's what we have: (I'll update this as we go)

Blocks Grade Size Notes
Tyler: 10 ? ? (if we order from JH)
Nick 10 x med
Kurt 10 x med
Leus 10 x med
MitchG 20 x med
Stephen ?
Gatorade 10 x med
Ben
Bryan
Pooka
JMB
JohnC
Jeff
Random

Anyone else?
Last edited by Nick on Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Post by Nick »

No worries big guy. I know you you said you might not order, I just didn't want to leave you out.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

If it helps you guys any, I'll get a few (10 or so) so that you can complete an order if needed.

Which grade are you considering? Jaume has two grades of plateaux - Extra and Extra Extra. He also has different sizes - most of you would probably be happy with medium, small might not be big enough.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Leus

Post by Leus »

I'm in, 10 blocks please :-)
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

has anyone come up with prices yet? just curious...
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I would be interested in trying out some of this wood as well. Let me know once you have an idea of price.