Group ordering briar

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Get an idea on the prices and whether we are buying ebachon or plateaux (I'm only interested in the higher grades of each) and I'll probably be in for 10 or so as well.

Jeff
MitchG

Post by MitchG »

As I said in Todd's thread on sourcing, I'd be very happy to participate in a group buy once a supplier is determined. I'm good for 20 blocks, maybe more, depending on the final price. I'll be watching for details.....

Mitch
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

Once the details get worked out, I'll most likely be interested in joining in. I'll be watching for more info.
Stephen

Carving Pipes in the Oldest Town in Texas.
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

gone
Last edited by Gatorade on Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Update!

Post by Nick »

Well, I'm back from the beach, and despite my best efforts, have a bit of a tan to show for it. Mostly freckles, but some tan too. LOL

Things look pretty good for our order. So far we have an order of 80 blocks. Several folks have expressed an interest in trying out the Spanish briar from Jaun Hom, so thats where we'll probably order from. I'm running numbers for each of the three sourses mentioned though. Hopefully, I'll have some solid numbers soon.

It seems like most folks would like the medium sized blocks, so this is what we'll shoot for. Additionally the most interest was expressed for the "Extra" quality briar, as opposed to the "Extra Extra" quality.

An additional consideration (two actually) will be shipping. I propose we split the shipping to our distribution point evenly, i.e. if we have 10 folks ordering each person pays 1/10 of the cost of the shipping to our distribution point. Unless there are objections I'll have stuff shipped here - Columbus Ohio. Second is the shipping to each person. There are two ways we could go. The easiest would be that each person covers their own shipping from here to their place. A second route would be to split the second shipping evenly among all of us. Either way is fine with me. As a note, I am willing to chip in on this second shipping cost if the group desires it.

Please reply with any additions, changes, suggestions or concerns.
Nick

Post by Nick »

OK, so after reading Todd's cool thread about briar, perhaps the extra extra quality is the way to go?

All of this is price dependant I know.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Guys,

Due to some other expenses, I am afraid I need to bail. Sorry!

:oops:

Tyler
Nick

Post by Nick »

No worries guys.

=)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I'm still in, even though I'll be placing an order of my own next month. However the grou votes for shipping, I'll agree. I would prefer, though, that everyone pay their own shipping from the distribution point - as I'll probably just drive over to Nick's place and pick up my share. ;)

I'm also going to start a new thread in the stummels section with some initial thoughts on my first shipment of briar from Jaume later tonight. It's all good, and to say that I'm "satisfied" doesn't seem to be sufficient....
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
jeff

Post by jeff »

I may have to back out. It will all depend on the cost and supplier. I have to admit, that I am more interested in Romeo's blocks and that I'd prefer Extra Extra quality. I can probably budge on the supplier more than cost and quality though.

Also, I vote that we all pay our own shipping from the distribution point. That's what we'd do if we purchased from JHLowe, Pimo, or anyone else. So, Nick and Kurt may have the best deals so far!

Let me know what you come up with when you come up with it and I'll give you my "yea" or "nay".

Jeff
JMB

Post by JMB »

I have to go with random on this for the same reasons. I don't know enough now to trust myself with the "good" stuff. My nightmare is me screwing up a "straight grain" that a real Pipe maker would turn out a Masterpiece on.

random wrote:
"If there's a group-buy for some of Jaume's briar that Kurt bought for essentially 3.60 a block, which he seems to think is pretty good stuff, I'll try to scrape together some money to join in.

If the group-buy is for Romeo's premium briar, it's too rich for me right now and I'll have to sit it out and wish you guys well."
Nick

Post by Nick »

We'll have some numbers shortly. Either way, is the consensus to go for to premium briar?
Nick

Post by Nick »

Now that just makes too much sense. Post your preferences, and I'll see what responses I get. Here are the figures so far.

Small Sized Blocks
Per Block Sub TTL Shipping TTL Sm
BG Tas $12.00 $600.00 $600.00
BG Crit $5.00 $250.00 $250.00
JH XX $7.89 $394.50 $44.60 $439.10
JH X $2.96 $148.00 $44.60 $192.60
Romeo XX $0.00 $0.00
Romeo X $0.00 $0.00

Medium Sized Blocks
Per Block SubTTl Shipping TTL Med
BG Tas $18.00 $900.00 $900.00
BG Crit $7.00 $350.00 $350.00
JH XX $14.80 $740.00 $44.60 $784.60
JH X $5.55 $277.50 $44.60 $322.10
Romeo XX $0.00 $0.00
Romeo X $0.00 $0.00

Blocks
Bleecchh! Looked a whole lot better on Exel.

NJ
jeff

Post by jeff »

Presentation is everything (see thread in general section :wink: ). Nick, thanks for the hard work. Though the message is decipherable, it could be clearer. Let's see if this does it:

BG = Briargrains.com (Rating names are different than XX or X, but for the sake of uniformity I've taken the liberty of adding this in.)
JH = Jaume Hom
Romeo = Hmmm?

Small Sized Blocks:

_________Per Block_____Sub Total___Shipping____Grand Total
BG XX____$12.00_______$600.00_______________$600.00
BG X_____$5.00________$250.00_______________$250.00
JH XX____$7.89________$394.50____$44.60______$439.10
JH X______$2.96_______$148.00____$44.60______$192.60
Romeo XX $0.00______________________________$0.00
Romeo X__$0.00______________________________$0.00

Medium Sized Blocks:

_________ Per Block_____Subtotal_______Shipping__Grand Total
BG Tas____$18.00_______$900.00________________$900.00
BG Crit____$7.00________$350.00________________$350.00
JH XX_____$14.80_______$740.00_______$44.60____$784.60
JH X______$5.55________$277.50_______$44.60____$322.10
Romeo XX_$0.00_______________________________$0.00
Romeo X__$0.00_______________________________$0.00

I hope I got this right, Nick. As for the absence of shipping costs for BriarGrains, Yazid told me a while back that they charge $1.40/pp for Plateaux and $.90/pp for ebachon. But, perhaps you've already taken that into account, I didn't check.

I, for one, would be more interested in the XX stuff from Romeo or BG if we can get it. If we get the lower quality stuff, I might be in for a few pieces, but not 20 or more. Let me know what you all decide.

Jeff
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

jeff wrote:I, for one, would be more interested in the XX stuff from Romeo or BG if we can get it. If we get the lower quality stuff, I might be in for a few pieces, but not 20 or more. Let me know what you all decide.

Jeff
FWIW guys, Romeo's designation of X and XX is somewhat arbitrary. The X grade stuff is of astounding quality and probably represents a much better value (at least at what seems to be the average pricepoint for those ordering) than the XX. If you're Teddy and you can nearly guarantee a $2500 pipe from 2 out of 3 blocks the extra expense is justified. Otherwise, it may be somewhat excessive. Just some thoughts that might be helpful.

Best,

Todd