Collet chuck on a budget

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Collet chuck on a budget

Post by KurtHuhn »

I've been on the hunt for a collet chuck ever since Jack first posted about their benefits some time back. Problem is, for a 5C collet chuck and some collets, I'd be looking at a significant investment - even an import chuck goes for nearly $200, and then you still have to buy and machine a backing plate, AND buy a selection of collets.

Not wanting to sell an internal organ or pimp myself out on the street corner to fund my collet chuck needs, I figured I was doomed to live life without one - until I found this:
http://www.bealltool.com/products/turni ... tchuck.php

Instead of 5C collets, it uses ER32 - which are inexpensive and available everywhere. The max collet size is 13/16", but for my purposes, that's not an issue. I ordered one with a selection of collets and have been using it for holding aluminum, polyester, ebonite, and even a tobacco chamber bits while drilling a stummel after shaping. I'm very impressed.

If you're looking for a collet chuck, and haven't been able to afford a 5C collet chuck, this may be worth a look.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Anvil

Post by Anvil »

I used a lot of these style of collet when I worked machining aluminum engine parts. They always did the job and I didn't have any problems. I don't know why they wouldn't work in a lathe, given the proper holder to mount in. It sounds like one of those instances where a gadget was invented for certain types of work and was never applied to another even though it would work just as well.

Congrats on the find and I hope they give you many years of worry free service.
The opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the management or of the little green men who have been following me all day.
JBW

Post by JBW »

Kurt, that's a good price on those. If you need any extras check this site -

http://www.smalltools.com/new.asp

They have new and used tooling at very good prices. :D
I've been very pleased with the things I've gotten from them.

PS - If you decide to go with the 5C collets (or find a used set cheap :wink: ), you might be able use this for a chuck.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAK ... TPG=INLMK3
Joel
kbosi

Post by kbosi »

Collets are a great thing. been using them for about a year.
there is a guy on ebay that goes by the name of 800watts has some great prices.
Kirk Bosi
Bosi Pipes
Http://www.bosipipes.com
pipeyeti

Post by pipeyeti »

I have 2 of the beal collet chucks one for my taig and one for my jet. They work great and didn't break the bank. Well worth the money.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

kbosi wrote:Collets are a great thing. been using them for about a year.
there is a guy on ebay that goes by the name of 800watts has some great prices.
I actually got a full set of metric collets from that seller for a pretty darn good price. I opted for metric since it had collets for everything from 3mm up to 20mm by 1mm increments. I've been eyeing a couple other things from him too, but don't have an immediate NEED for any of them. Yet. :)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com