No Pimo shank squaring tool, no lathe...

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Timberwolf

No Pimo shank squaring tool, no lathe...

Post by Timberwolf »

Good morning,

Without having a PIMO shank squaring tool and no lathe (yet... :lol: ) I'm really struggling getting the shank and stem to fit tightly.

Any simple remedies, or do I need to wait to get the proper tools to get a proper fit?

Thank you in advance.
"A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan." -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton"
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

The proper tools will go a long way.

You need to be sure the mortis is perpendicular to the shank face, and that the tenon is perpendicular to the stem face - and that the faces are parallel to each other when the tenon is inserted into the mortis. Sounds simple, but without the right tools, it's a difficult process.

If you have a drill press it can be done. Clamp your block in a vise and position the table far enough away that you change bits easily. Face the block, and drill the mortis in two operations - or one operation with the appropriate counterbore (like the PIMO tool). Don't move the block or table. If you can get in there and change the bits without moving the block or table, that face and hole will be in perfect alignment.

For the stem, you may want to consider using delrin tenons. Doing integrated tenons without a lathe of any kind is an exercise in self flagellation. Same as above, but if you cut a couple v-slots vertically in a couple pieces of maple or oak, it will hold the stem far more securely when the whole thing is clamped in your vise - like a pen makers drilling vise. From there on out, just follow the delrin procedure that's a sticky in this area of the forum.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I have been following the process Kurt describes from the start. A drill press with a good drill press vise works perfectly fine. A drill press vise with micro adjustments helps a whole lot in lining things up. Harbor Freight sales one for a good price. To get the stem material faced perpendicular all you need is a carpenters square. After you have it squared in the vise, face it with a forstner bit then drill the mortise for the Delrin tenon. Voila! you have a perfectly faced stem blank. I go ahead and drill my airway while the stem is clamped in the vise. One down side to using a drill press is that if you plan on adding stem dressing it's best to keep everything clamped in the vise while the glue dries. You can take it out of the vise but you risk loosing precision. I'll have to put together a "how to" and post it. It really is pretty simple.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Timberwolf

Thanks guys!

Post by Timberwolf »

I was meaning to pick up a Harbor Freight Drill Press vise. They are inexpensive and will work a lot better than what I am currently cobbling together.

Thanks for the input!
"A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan." -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton"