Oil rubbed finish.

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
Fuente81

Oil rubbed finish.

Post by Fuente81 »

Hey there,

I have a question. I have seen many finishes that are "Matt" finished and some say "Matt Finish". I know that bees wax used as a finish will give a nice low luster finish. But I have also seen "Oil rubbed" finishes and I am wondering what type of oil could be safely used to obtain a matt finish? I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

THanks!

E.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Every once in a while this comes up.

There's a difference between an oil finish, and oil curing. Oil curing is only done by a few folks, and the process is guarded very jealously. Oil finishing has been used on wood for centuries, and is well known.

An oil finish can be any kind of oil that is either food grade, or food grade when cured. Basically rub it into the wood until you get the look you're shooting for. Years and years ago I used olive oil, and it worked great. No shine, but it did look very interesting. If I was going to do it again, I'd aim for something thinner and with a nice aroma.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Fuente81

Post by Fuente81 »

I see. So the difference between an oil finish and an oil curing is that when the briar is cured with the oil, it will not need to be oil finished? in addition, would the briar or wood used not feel greasy if it was cured in oil? at least to some extent? I can't imagine that it would not if oil was soaked into the wood throughly. Otherwise I woudl think that it would be an oil stain.

I have seen a lot of "Yello Bole" brand pipes on e-bay that have "real honey cured" stamped on them. I assume this is for the finish and nothing more. Correct?
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Oil cured briar is not greasy feeling. I don't know how they do it or how they "remove" the oil from the briar again. Dunhill pipes are oil cured, but there is nothing particular about Dunhill pipes that marks them as oil cured, other than a different "flavor" that it imparts to the tobacco when the pipe is still relatively new. Oil curing has nothing to do with the finish, as far as I know.

For Yello Bole pipes, I believe the "honey cured" refers to only the interior bowl. In the old days, there was a belief that the best way to get a carbon cake going was to rub the interior of the bowl with a little honey/water to get the tobacco and carbon to stick.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I may be wrong, but I don't think Dunhill has oiled cured pipes for quite a while.

Someone told me that Bill Taylor said he never saw oil curing during the time he worked at Dunhill.

They removed the oil by placing the pipe bowls over heated plugs that sweated the oil out.

If you want a matte finish, try skipping the carnauba wax. If that's not matte enough for you, try rubbing it with some mineral or vegetable oil after staining, then wipe it dry and buff lightly.

Play around, and see what works for you.

Rad
Frank

Post by Frank »

As Kurt mentioned, oil curing is done by a few manufacturers and pipemakers using their own proprietory formuli/mixtures. Basically, the blocks are boiled in the mixture to drive out the wood resins and replace them with the oil mixture (similar to brining - you dab hand cooks know what I mean :lol: ), and then dried over a period of time. Supposedly the pipe is then sweeter tasting/less gnarly tasting during the break-in period.

There are many oil finishes used on wood such as Olive Oil, Linseed Oil, Danish Oil, Mineral Oil, etc. Just use ones that are food grade and not stinky.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Fuente81

Post by Fuente81 »

Thanks for all the information gentlemen! I appreciate it. A mystery cleared up to be sure :D

Regards,

E.