time

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Bear

time

Post by Bear »

As someone for whom pipemaking is a hobby the time it takes me to start and finish a pipe can vary greatly. I work on the pipes when my free time allows it. This really gives me no sense on how long it actually takes to make a pipe. I was thinking of this because I was showing my family some of the pipes I've made over the holidays and a common question was how long they took to make. This made me very curious on how long it takes some of the full time pipe makers to start and finish a pipe. Do you work on one pipe start to finish? or do you rough out a few at a time and stain a few at a time etc? I'm curious about all things pipemaking these days and would love to know more about the process.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I usually make one pipe at a time, and it takes me 2 to 3 hours, start to finish.

Rad
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Ditto. Anywhere from 2-3 hours is normal for me - though some may take a little longer, and some may take a little less.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
sethile

Post by sethile »

I haven't been doing this as long as Rad and Kurt, nor am I full time with it--not by a long shot! I'm currently making around 30 per year, but hoping to up that to 50 next year.

Mostly I work pipes in batches of between 2 and 4 up till they're rouged in. Then I tend to work one at a time doing hand work until I hit a snag, or need to wait for glue or stain to dry. Then I'll shift over to another pipe for a while. Often this gives me a fresh perspective as well as keeping me working.

The time varies a good deal between pipes. I don't really track it carefully but I'm guessing most take between 5 and 15 hours depending on the complexity (end cap, stem accents, etc...), problem solving, and finish. More time does not necessarily mean a more carefully made pipe, at least in my case. Sometimes it's just inexperience with certain procedures. :?
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

It takes me about 6-8 hours to finish a pipe.

I've been making pipes for about 2 years.

I have made 55 pipes for sale this year.
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

RadDavis wrote:I usually make one pipe at a time, and it takes me 2 to 3 hours, start to finish.

Rad
I would just like to take this opportunity to state that Rad is an asshole.

Todd
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

:ROFL:
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

ToddJohnson wrote:

Todd
Notwithstanding your comment, Todd, I appreciate the Cheerwine tip.

NuGrape had me confused.

Rad
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

RadDavis wrote:
ToddJohnson wrote:

Todd
Notwithstanding your comment, Todd, I appreciate the Cheerwine tip.

NuGrape had me confused.

Rad
Yeah, whatever Davis. I can make a pipe in 15 minutes flat anyway, so who cares if it only takes you two hours! I hope you choke on your Cheerwine!

Todd

:D
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

ACKKKKK, KAFF, KAFF, AHEM, AHHHHHHEM.

What was that? I had a bit of Cheerwine go down the wrong pipe.

Almost choked.

Rad
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Shame, Random doesn't know what he's missing.
Frank

Post by Frank »

JHowell wrote:Shame, Random doesn't know what he's missing.
:ROFL:
You noticed he popped in recently for a couple of comments, then took his ball and went back home again?
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Just to bring this back on point, I can do a simple blast (say a blowfish) in about 4-5 hours if everybody cooperates and plays nice. More elaborate pieces may have upwards of 50 hours in them. That is why a a $5K pipe may ultimately be less profitable than a $600 one.

Much depends on tooling and, as is the case with Rad I'm sure, having dedicated tools for specific processes cuts down on work time drastically. I have four lathes in the shop, each one basically set up and tooled up for a specific task. Things like quick-change tool posts, keyless chucks, multiple shaping and buffing wheels create efficiency, but they also cost money. Something as ridiculous as four separate lathes can only be justified if this is your trade, your business, and you use it to put food on the table and gas in the car.

Don't feel discouraged if it's still taking you 20 hours to carve out a basic pipe. Speed and efficiency come with practice and repetition. Better to be careful than quick.

Todd
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Post deleted.
Last edited by JHowell on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
FredS

Post by FredS »

I wish someone would have advised grabbing a bowl of popcorn and settling in for the evening early in this thread. It's certainly entertaining. :fencing:
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

It may be worth mentioning for those who are relatively new, that Rad and I are good friends and have absolutely no animosity toward one another whatsoever. All of this is purely in jest--except for the fact that I truly am jealous he can make a pipe in two hours. Rad and I have great respect for one another's work . . . or at least I know I do for his. Perhaps someday I can convince him to come to Nashville and help me re-tool my shop for two-hour-pipe making.

Todd
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Uh-oh, you didn't mention not having any animosity toward me. *I* know you're busting chops, and was under the impression that my comment would be interpreted as a joke also.

Never mind,
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

ToddJohnson wrote:It may be worth mentioning for those who are relatively new, that Rad and I are good friends and have absolutely no animosity toward one another whatsoever. All of this is purely in jest--except for the fact that I truly am jealous he can make a pipe in two hours. Rad and I have great respect for one another's work . . . or at least I know I do for his. Perhaps someday I can convince him to come to Nashville and help me re-tool my shop for two-hour-pipe making.

Todd
Todd, thank you for your kind words, and of course I respect your work.

Especially the older, pretty stuff. :lol:

Rad
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

JHowell wrote:Uh-oh, you didn't mention not having any animosity toward me. *I* know you're busting chops, and was under the impression that my comment would be interpreted as a joke also.

Never mind,
Jack,

No animosity toward anyone, buddy. Just explaining that my comments about Rad were entirely in jest, and that we weren't actually "going at it." Because I've been sort of disconnected from things the past couple of years, I'm not sure who's "in the know" and who isn't.

Todd
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

No worries, Jack.

*I* got your joke. :lol:

FWIW, for the rest of you guys, I was serious about Todd's post in the "Pipe Alchemy" thread on learning to make a pretty pipe before getting into tinkering and experimenting with other more esoteric stuff.

That really was excellent advice.

Happy New year!

Rad