Spade bits

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
buster

Spade bits

Post by buster »

I know this has probably been covered a million times, but I need some help. I understand the rounding of the bit, but where I'm stuck at is sharpening it. How do I do it ? Also, I noticed some talk of the bit has a tendancy to walk or chatter, could this be corrected by shortening the shank of the bit.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

The one thing I learned in my very stint working as a machinist is that the shorter your tool, the less chance it's going to wander or chatter. All of my spade bits have *maybe* a 2 inch shank.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

As for sharpening, you might find you have the most control with a rotary tool and the bit clamped in a vise. A smooth cylindrical stone grinding tool will put a nice edge on it. You can finish up with a whetstone or diamond hone if you have one. It's a must when you do this day-in and day-out, but some sandpaper on a metal, glass or very flat (MDF, Fiberboard) surface will also do the trick.

Todd
buster

Post by buster »

Do you sharpen the side of the bit to look like a knife?
pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

I sharpen to a single bevel. The beveled edge should follow the flat side.
Frank

Post by Frank »

buster wrote:Do you sharpen the side of the bit to look like a knife?
A knife grind angle is probably too extreme. You just need a couple or so degrees off 90 raked back. Make sense? :lol:
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

buster wrote:Do you sharpen the side of the bit to look like a knife?
No. You simply relieve the trailing edge. In other words, look at the face of the bit and determine the edge that would actually be doing the cutting when the bit is spinning in a clockwise direction. If you have the bit laying on the table with the shank pointing up, it will be the "right" edge of the face you're looking at. Using that edge as the extreme outside profile of the bit, relieve the back side at about a twenty degree angle. Flip the bit over and do the same thing to the "right" side which, having flipped it over, will be opposite the one you just did. That sounds a little confusing, but just think about relieving the backside of the leading edge, or think about removing material from the trailing edge. All you're trying to do is create a single point of contact, and edge, and remove the material that would create friction.

Good luck,

Todd
Frank

Post by Frank »

A picture is worth... yadda, yadda

Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
buster

Post by buster »

The picture is perfect. Thank you very much.
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

I picked up a tool at woodcraft that has made sharpeing my lathe tools and my chamber bits much easier. It's totally unnecessary if you have basically good skill with a standard grinder, but since I didn't have skill or confidence when I started pipemaking, I listened to the advice of some of the sales guys at woodcraft who were raving about a tool called the "jooltool".

http://www.jooltool.com/index.htm

I'm not even going to try to explain the tool; I'll let you look at the website and watch the little video to see how it works. Suffice to say, it is really easy to use, and it gives me the ability to sharpen my tools fast and with confidence (mostly because I can see what I'm doing so much better, and the metal doesn't heat up like it does on a grinder, so losing the temper in my lathe tools is less likely).

I usually finish my sharpening with a diamond hone and that's it!

:D
Frank

Post by Frank »

SimeonTurner wrote:...a tool called the "jooltool".
Interesting gizmo, but $280 seems a bit steep for my pocket.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

Frank wrote:
SimeonTurner wrote:...a tool called the "jooltool".
Interesting gizmo, but $280 seems a bit steep for my pocket.
Yeah, that's an outrageous price. I bought it at woodcraft for $80 bucks, I believe, plus the cost of a few extra sanding discs (they look like ninja stars).

No idea why they would be selling it for so much more online (or maybe why woodcraft was selling it so cheap! LOL)