Pipe Cabinet Plans

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Timberwolf

Pipe Cabinet Plans

Post by Timberwolf »

Good morning all!

As my pipe collection has now exceeded my 6-pipe rack, I would like to build my own pipe display cabinet (glass paneled doors, 3 rows high, etc...).

I have gOOgled high and low and cannot come up with construction plans.

Does anyone have a link or information on this?

I'm also curious as to how the pipe bowl rest is routered (certain bit?).

Thank you in advance! :lol:
"A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan." -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton"
Frank

Re: Pipe Cabinet Plans

Post by Frank »

Timberwolf wrote:I'm also curious as to how the pipe bowl rest is routered (certain bit?).
A large diameter one of these: http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite ... _core.html
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
jim in Oregon

pipe cabinets..

Post by jim in Oregon »

Timberwolf,
One can get some ideas for larger pipe cabinet, rack displays by looking at those made in the past.
Some are quite artful, others simpler.

As a pipe smoker and maker of many years, I found my small 'harem' of smoking pipes to be ever expanding...:)
Many vintages, shapes, sizes, styles.
Standard type pipe racks just were not the ticket.

It soon was evident that not only would a 48 pipe rack or cabinet not hold them, but because of the variety of shapes, lengths, bowl sizes and stem angle-designs, there was none that would accomodate them.ESP the larger freehands and carved figural meerschaums just didn't fit the average style walnut pipe rack..

Long story short;
I constructed a 36" high 24"wide, 14" deep chest of six drawers along the lines of the late Victorian jewelry or lingerie chests one occasionally sees as antiques.
Each drawer has a 3" depth and accomodates up to 14 or more pipes..laid flat upon a soft leather in the drawer bottom.

The pipes are protected from the worst oxidation and damage as well as staying much cleaner from dust and are easily viewed or selected from for smoking.

You might consider making or rerstoring(antique) such a small piece of furniture for your pipes ..as inevitably, your collection will grow over years.
The top of the small chest of drawers can be used to alternatively display a few pipes in stands and /or support a small table lamp for light or a humidor.
I am new to this forum and when I learn how to post pictures I can post several of my own pipe chest.
Best regards, Jim[/img]
Timberwolf

Post by Timberwolf »

Thanks for your response Jim!

If I recall correctly, I may have seen your cabinet pictures somewhere on the 'net.

That is not a bad idea at all!

Would love to see the pictures when you get them uploaded!

Thanks again.
"A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan." -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton"
jim in Oregon

Post by jim in Oregon »

Timberwolf, thank you.
I haven't posted pictures of my small chest of drwaers anywhere..but I believe others also have proposed the small chest of drawers as an excellent way to display and protect pipe collections.

Unless one enjoys the dusting tasks, pipes sitting in open racks do collect dust and exposure to air and sunlight require additional maintenance to keeps one's pipes in good order-appearance.If one has grandchildren he need also be watchful that small inquisitive eyes and hands do not go where they shouldn't..not to mention those with curious cats and active dogs with wagging tails..:)

I am an avid wood worker of many years and so the small chest of drawers I designed and made came out very nicely.Hardwood , inlays, burl and birdseye veeered drawer fronts..as good as ever made by vintage cabinetmakers probably.A bit 19th century in style and appearance, which fits me as well as many of the older pipes I enjoy so much.

For those not equipped or so inclined, a patient search of second hand stores and junk shops( antique shops) can often yield discoveries of very fine furniture of this sort which with a bit of TLC can be placed into new service for the pipe smoker-collector.

Craig's List, E Bay, consignment shops both online or off, Goodwill, Salvation Army etc..Estete sales in uposcale neighborhoods.

On line searching using key words such as lingerie chest or jewelry chest of drawers can help zero in on new or used-antique chests suitable in dimension and style.(and price)
Some of the jewelry chests still being made are quite nice, tho quality new is expensive.

A good starting place is to lay out your pipes and decide how much depth bottom to top of drawer he needs for the drawers..as well as back to front width and depth.Some folks have chosen to smoke and collect a certain style of pipe along conventional billiard, bulldog, poker shape-size while others may be more expansive-diverse in their choices or their making of pipes.

Have some minimum and maximum dimensional requirements.
The space you have in your den or 'room' may help dictate the size of the chest-cabinet.Who knows? One could end up with a psir of very nice, lower 'end-lamp' tables with three or four drawers each..OR a smasll, 6' tall cornor curio cabinet which is lighted, has a door and perhaps multiple shelves added??Be creative..

You must decide IF your collection will grow from it's present size and how much( do we ever forsee the depth of this passion..:)? and plan on making or procuring a chest that has some growing room..

For those designing and making their own, the chest of drawers can be quite utilitarian and made from the least expensive materials which are stained or painted ..much like one would house small hand tools, fishing lures or firearms cleaning items...or it can be a piece of fine woodworkers art-craft suitable for display in the poshest decor....or in between..

One nice feature of the pipe chest of drawers is that the pipe sleeve, hard case or original box can be kept-displayed along with the pipe.
How many time have we seen nice vintage meerschaum pipes whose hard case long ago was separated from the pipe it was made to protect and house?

As a note, the pipes one smokes are allowed to air out and dry after cleaning before placing them back in their spot in the drawer.
The top of the chest with a stand or two of wood, brass etc can be used for this, esp for the briars.

One can design a chest that has a deeper drawer if he wishes for storage of tobacco, cleaning supplies & tools, chunks of briar awaiting work, stems etc if he wishes.

Presently, I don't have an on line picture repository at this time from which to draw pictures to post here...I may need to do that.

In the meantime, if you send me a PM I can give you my e mail address and from there, take some pictures of my own pipe chest of drawers to send you.Jim