Simple Lathe Chuck

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
ToddJohnson

Re: Simple Lathe Chuck

Post by ToddJohnson »

FredS wrote:
Pharaohfitz wrote:Apologies to all for bringing up balance and safety for metal items spinning on a lathe.
I must have gotten dizzy trying to read where this thing was made while it was spinning at 12,000 rpm...... :)
Spin your chucks in peace not pieces,
Pharaohfitz
I bet you - like me - just about pee your pants evey time you see a picture like this (with apologies to Jeff):
The great thing is that if he turns it on (assuming he's running it counter clockwise) all that will happen is that the chuck will spin 1/4 turn until the key hits the bed, unthread itself from the headstock, spin off toward Jeff, hit him in the nuts, and knock him to the floor. No biggie, really! :D

I sometimes leave the chuck key in my 12 x 36, but it has multiple safety switches. One of them is in the chip guard which rotates down to cover the chuck. If the chip guard's down, the chuck key won't fit in the chuck. When the chip guard's up, the lathe won't run. That makes it slightly more idiot proof. I know you machinist folk cringe at the thought of it, but we pipemakers are stubborn and foolish and enjoy the thrill of storing the chuck key in the chuck! :D

TJ
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

The great thing is that if he turns it on (assuming he's running it counter clockwise) all that will happen is that the chuck will spin 1/4 turn until the key hits the bed, unthread itself from the headstock, spin off toward Jeff, hit him in the nuts, and knock him to the floor. No biggie, really! :D
LoL that is what we pipemakers inofficially call birth control...and god knows Jeff needs it.... plus I love the sound of that high key voice :lol:

Seriously my lathe bed bears the scars of the sins from my past...I remember when first visiting mashinist Åke Newton who made tools for the likes of Bo Nordh. He asked me if I had any schooling in metal working or turning or the likes.. I replied no...he shook his head and said: you pipemakers are all alike and your lathes always look like shit when I service them...personally if it was not for the love of pipes I would have never learned to work with all these mashines
Smoke in peace!!

Love
Webpage www.geigerpipes.com
News/Blog http://news.geigerpipes.com/
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

ToddJohnson wrote: The great thing is that if he turns it on (assuming he's running it counter clockwise) all that will happen is that the chuck will spin 1/4 turn until the key hits the bed, unthread itself from the headstock, spin off toward Jeff, hit him in the nuts, and knock him to the floor. No biggie, really! :D
If he is running it counter clockwise the chuck will tighten itself on the spindle nose and then he will never be able to remove it :lol:

My workshop wall and door bear the scars of objects removing them selves from the lathe at high speed. Ironically a block of briar did more damage than a chuck key.
Leus

Post by Leus »

I stopped a chuck key with my chest. Actually, it didn't hurt at all, since it traveled little before getting airborne... this happened when I had just got my lathe. Nowadays I store my key in the same place (basically in a wooden box right by the side of the lathe.)

Which brings me to another subject: most of my tools just lay around over my bench in a seemingly haphazardly way, but if you just move anything a couple of centimeters I'm not able to find it anymore (just last week I basically lost a vernier caliper. I had to buy a new one.) Man, I find that kind of frustrating since I don't want to clean my workshop by myself...
Nick

Post by Nick »

I'm totally with you Leus. My wife complains at what a mess it is, but i know where all the junk is! She got frustrated once, and "cleaned up." Ohh man, I was looking for stuff for weeks! She doesn't mess with my bench anymore though. She asked for somthing, soon after her clean up, and I had no clue where it was. I told her where it should have been, but that someone moved it!
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

KurtHuhn wrote:You can also get one these:
http://www.oneway.ca/chucks/oneway.htm

And use two of these:
http://www.oneway.ca/chucks/accessories/tower_jaws.htm (get the #2 jaws)

Which more than a few hobbyists and at least one full time pipe maker actually does.
It's also fairly easy to make custom jaws for the Oneway chuck -- I'll see if I can find pics of the one I had and sold. A machinist friend made the jaws for me for my Bison 2-jaw chuck. I think he has a set of jaws he made for sale. The price was very reasonable for what they are, but most hobby pipe makers blanch at a tool that costs much. I think I spent $400 on my chuck, I think Mark wanted $275 for a set of jaws. But I would recommend a set of jaws a superior to the bolts. The bolts will work, of course, ANYTHING will work given enough patience and experience, but I forsee alignment issues with them, and a certain lack of security.

Jack
http://public.jwh.fastmail.fm/images/Chuck1.jpg
http://public.jwh.fastmail.fm/images/Bison1.jpg
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

JHowell wrote:
KurtHuhn wrote:You can also get one these:
http://www.oneway.ca/chucks/oneway.htm

And use two of these:
http://www.oneway.ca/chucks/accessories/tower_jaws.htm (get the #2 jaws)

Which more than a few hobbyists and at least one full time pipe maker actually does.
It's also fairly easy to make custom jaws for the Oneway chuck -- I'll see if I can find pics of the one I had and sold. A machinist friend made the jaws for me for my Bison 2-jaw chuck. I think he has a set of jaws he made for sale. The price was very reasonable for what they are, but most hobby pipe makers blanch at a tool that costs much. I think I spent $400 on my chuck, I think Mark wanted $275 for a set of jaws. But I would recommend a set of jaws a superior to the bolts. The bolts will work, of course, ANYTHING will work given enough patience and experience, but I forsee alignment issues with them, and a certain lack of security.

Jack
http://public.jwh.fastmail.fm/images/Chuck1.jpg
http://public.jwh.fastmail.fm/images/Bison1.jpg
Jack, agreed, this is not the ideal chuck. This is just a serviceable chuck that an average (if handy) guy can make himself given access to some metalworking equipment. Total cost is about $30. It works well, holds the block securely, and if you grind the centering bolts to a point, allows the block to pivot easily.

TJ
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

caskwith wrote: If he is running it counter clockwise the chuck will tighten itself on the spindle nose and then he will never be able to remove it :lol:
Nope. Go over it in your head again and you will see the chuck flying toward your crotch. I know that of which I speak. :D

TJ
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

ToddJohnson wrote:
caskwith wrote: If he is running it counter clockwise the chuck will tighten itself on the spindle nose and then he will never be able to remove it :lol:
Nope. Go over it in your head again and you will see the chuck flying toward your crotch. I know that of which I speak. :D

TJ
Me too. :lol:

Rad
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

ToddJohnson wrote:

TJ
Im confused lol. My chuck screws onto the spindle nose clockwise. So if the lathe is also spinning counter clockwise and i stop the chuck (as the chuck key slamming into the bed) then it screws itself tighter onto the spindle. Thats why i have to be careful running the lathe in reverse as it could unscrew the chuck.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I think Caskwith is right.

I did have my chuck fly off the lathe one time....... whatever direction it was running (reverse).

It missed my nuts.

Rad
Nick

Post by Nick »

Glad to hear it Rad!
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

They say that there are less and less pipemakers in the world nowadays...I think we may all know why now!

Castration by lathe chuck...ewwww....
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

RadDavis wrote:I think Caskwith is right.

I did have my chuck fly off the lathe one time....... whatever direction it was running (reverse).

It missed my nuts.

Rad
It's when the lathe is running in its normal direction and stops suddenly that the chuck can unscrew itself. Most lathes with spindle brakes have camlock mounts, but not all. If you have something break and jam the spindle this can happen, too. When you leave the key in it usually just gets flung, unless it stays in long enough to slam into the ways. Running in reverse can unscrew the chuck. Yet another reason to love collets.

Jack
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Jack's Bison and custom jaws are what I lust after. And, admittedly, I did blanch at the price of a Bison - however, I have a special envelope set aside that I add to from time to time that's supposed to be for that purchase. Now, if I could get the wife to stop dipping into it and every other 'special envelope' to pay the bills, I might actually get one some day. :D
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

KurtHuhn wrote:

Jack's Bison and custom jaws are what I lust after. And, admittedly, I did blanch at the price of a Bison - however, I have a special envelope set aside that I add to from time to time that's supposed to be for that purchase. Now, if I could get the wife to stop dipping into it and every other 'special envelope' to pay the bills, I might actually get one some day. :D
Would you say these are better/worse/the same as Trent Rudat's chucks?
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I have no idea - never having seen Trent's chuck in person. I have, however, seen (and used) a few Bisons in my day - and that was enough to get me to make that envelope.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I use Trent's chuck, and it's a fine chuck. Never had a problem.

Rad
Frank

Post by Frank »

SimeonTurner wrote:Would you say these are better/worse/the same as Trent Rudat's chucks?
One advantage of Trent's chuck is that it incorporates the "locating pins". In theory, this allows you to perfectly align the tobacco chamber and draught hole when you drill them.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

I wouldn't say anything bad about Trent's stuff, but I saw one of his chucks at Premal's and I think the chuck jaws Mark made are better. More rigid geometry and replaceable faces, for starters. The set Mark made on spec has the pins -- I didn't want them so they're not on mine. I don't agree that a wider jaw surface equals more gripping power; I think the jaws I have represent the perfect balance between surface area and the amount of pressure the chuck can generate. But that's just me -- the Oneway chuck for which I made jaws worked just fine, so I would expect anyone going from any lesser setup to be perfectly happy with Trent's chuck. But I think mine is better, and I wouldn't say so just to argue. Brad Pohlmann has one, too, haven't heard much from him lately but I'm sure he'd talk to anybody who wants his assessment.

Jack